Top industry professionals to judge Awards for Excellence
Top journalists and editors from The Guardian and The Sun as well as magazines and regional newspapers are among those who have been announced as judges for this year's NCTJ Awards for Excellence.
The awards, now in their sixth year, highlight the achievements of individuals with promising journalism careers ahead of them. The awards are open to students on NCTJ-accredited courses and trainees/photographers with less than two years in journalism.
The 2013 judging panel will include:
- Ian Carter, editorial director, Kent Messenger Group
- Mick Dennis, football correspondent, Daily Express
- Steven English, online editor and digital manager, Lotus F1 team
- Brian Flynn, investigations editor, The Sun
- Margareta Pagano, business editor, Independent on Sunday
- Andrew Parkes, group managing editor, Newsquest South London
- Steve Phillips, group picture editor, South Wales Evening Post
- Dominic Ponsford, editor, Press Gazette
- Alice Ryan, head of features, Cambridge Newspapers
- Haroon Siddique, news reporter, The Guardian
- Karen Swayne, features and health editor, Prima magazine
The panel will review this year’s entries from a range of categories, including news, features and top scoop.
The winners will be announced at the NCTJ Journalism Skills Conference in Bournemouth on 27 November 2013.