The Financial Times is looking for a reader-focused journalist to take on an exciting role in the Audience Engagement (AE) team – a global, multi-disciplinary editorial team focused on extending the reach and impact of FT journalism. The AE team covers SEO, social media, community journalism, audience diversity initiatives and works with all teams in the Editorial department.
This role will have a special focus on search engine optimisation (SEO) in the newsroom. The ideal candidate will be someone who is familiar with SEO tools, is passionate about the news cycle and is comfortable reaching out to journalists to give SEO recommendations.
We are looking for someone who can also demonstrate a passion for using social media to engage new audiences with our journalism.
This role will help us increase the reach of our stories on third party platforms, optimise stories for search and deepen engagement with our audiences.
What we’re looking for
A journalist who can demonstrate:
- A keen interest in SEO best practices
- An eagerness to research and test innovative ideas
- Experience using Google Trends and SEO tools
- Experience managing social media channels for a newsroom or other organisation
- Familiarity with the established social networks and an eye on emerging platforms
- Strong news judgement, comfortable handling breaking news
- Ability to write clearly and accurately, often at speed, with style. Needs to be able to synthesise stories into headlines and social media posts that speak to a global audience
- A strong interest in discovering and communicating reader trends and insights
- A keen interest in working with financial content
This is a chance to learn from newsroom decision-makers and help the FT engage with new audiences. It is a New York-based role that is expected to be in the office a minimum of three days per week.
Please submit your application by the end of the day, Sunday 7th January 2024.