TV News Bulletins Producer – 12 Month Fixed Term Contract
TalkTV delivers a bold and distinctive voice in current affairs, debate and opinion. Piers Morgan Uncensored, our award-winning primetime show, is an hour of lively debates and world class interviews and it is continually setting the global news agenda. PMU’s YouTube currently looks to be the fastest growing page in UK broadcasting, with 23 million (and counting) having watched Piers’ Cristiano Ronaldo scoop alone. As the Channel shakes up its schedule, launching a brand new breakfast show called TalkToday presented by Jeremy Kyle and former Coronation Street star Nicola Thorp, it’s an exciting time to join. Vanessa Feltz guides you through the big stories of the day from the world of politics, current affairs and showbiz. Drawing together world-class talent across News UK, TalkTV broadcasts from state-of-the-art studios at The News Building and is available live or on-demand 24/7. TalkTV broadcasts 24/7 on Sky Channel 526, Virgin Media Channel 627, Freeview Channel 237 and Freesat Channel 217, as well as via connected TV services, smart devices, the TalkTV app and at talk.tv.
Your Role: You will be a crucial part of a small but multi-skilled team working across live news bulletins on a daily basis on TalkTV. You will be responsible for producing news bulletins – writing them, commissioning editing and picture ingest and helping to produce cuts yourself. We can also offer the opportunity to develop useful skills across our broadcast businesses – e.g. writing and reading news bulletins on radio, facilitating on location for OBs and perhaps reporting. There is also often movement between the news bulletins team and programme teams.
Day to day:
- Write news bulletins for TalkTV, applying news judgement to running orders and storytelling.
- Support and work closely and collaboratively with the presenter and technical operators.
- Edit video and accurately input graphics information
- Manage clear and effective communication with studio output teams, editing and ingest.
- Working to tight deadlines, under pressure.
- Ensure that content is legally sound, factually accurate and editorially sound.
- Show close attention to detail and scrupulous checking of spelling and facts.
- Report any technical issues to the engineering team in a timely manner, so that problems are quickly addressed, with minimal impact on the output.
- Develop abilities to contribute to all our broadcast businesses whether on radio or podcast.
What we’re looking for from you:
- The ideal candidate must have proven experience of working in a busy newsroom as a journalist and outputting live content under pressure to tight deadlines.
- Experience of Inews and Avid is a plus.
- Show leadership and be confident with setting the news agenda and making editorial decisions.
- Great communications skills – building close relationships with regular team mates.
- Excellent news judgement and awareness of legal and compliance issues.
- Proactive in approach, with good multi-tasking abilities.
- Willingness to work unsociable hours.
- Flexibility and willingness to adapt to fast-changing news agendas and breaking stories, which may involve last-minute rota changes.
- An interest in growing skill sets across broadcast as audio and visual outputs continue to merge and blur.
We are News Broadcasting: Driving digital innovation, our people create award-winning national and local radio and podcasts which are must-listens for millions across the UK, Ireland and beyond. Life sounds good with Virgin Radio – home to Chris Evans at Breakfast and Graham Norton at the weekend. talkSPORT, the world’s biggest sports radio station, delivers the very best live sport and analysis and is truly powered by its millions of fans. Launched in June 2020 Times Radio brings together the peerless journalistic expertise of The Times and The Sunday Times with world-class broadcast talent including John Pienaar, Aasmah Mir and Michael Portillo. In 2022 we launched TalkTV, a major new TV channel available to everyone across the UK, delivering a schedule of news, current affairs, entertainment and sport, with Piers Morgan in a primetime evening show.
Life at News: At News UK our people are our heartbeat – they are the driving force behind our brands and we want to enable people to thrive. Some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you would like. Many of us work in a hybrid way between one of the News UK & Ireland offices and remotely.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 11 employee-led networks.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. Some of what we offer includes:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- 25 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
- Private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions
- Discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes
- ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme
- Access to wellbeing benefits such as physio/massage and counselling
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing. Please let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.
News UK is an official partner of the Journalism Diversity Fund, founder of the Journalism and Disability Forum, and proud member of the Valuable 500. At News UK, we will continue to promote an inclusive and diverse workplace, to help people with visible and non visible disabilities create careers in media and aim to make our content accessible to all.