Trainee Reporter – West Yorkshire
Do you have a passion for great content, quality journalism and the ability to spot a trending story?
Do you want to be part of the collaborative team behind some of the biggest regional news websites in the UK?
The readership of National World’s Yorkshire Weeklies Group titles – including the Wakefield Express, Halifax Courier and Dewsbury Reporter Series – is growing, so we are investing in our great team to make sure we are writing more stories that people want to read across our digital and print platforms.
We are looking to recruit a trainee reporter who has the hunger to learn, develop and embrace a change as our business develops.
Already living in a world of social media, you will have a grasp of SEO and a natural understanding of what makes great digital content.
Who we are looking for:
- Successful candidates will have a keen eye for a story and an understanding of what drives audiences, along with a natural understanding of SEO and social media
- Demonstrate the ability to follow analytics, identify content trends and come up with original content ideas
- Understand how to optimise content for search
- Be comfortable in a fast-paced media environment and have the organisational skills to plan ahead
- Be capable of producing fast and accurate copy
- Exhibit familiarity with analytics tools that drive both content discovery and creation
- NCTJ qualification or equivalent experience
- Experience of working in a newsroom, agency or on a digital platform
- Previous experience of using a website content management system
- Understanding of SEO principles and best practice
- A good knowledge of media law and the Editors’ Code of Practice
- Strong writer, storyteller and communicator
- Good interview skills and a tenacity to find the right person to talk to
- A team player: able to work closely with colleagues with various specialities
- An understanding of how tone impacts brand values
- Familiarity with basic photo and video editing tools
Applicants should send their CV and a covering letter to Dominic Brown, editor-in-chief, at email@example.com
Please note this role is remote however there is a requirement that you must be residing in the UK
National World is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment as an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability or age. Consideration will be given to flexible working and job share options for all roles.