Want to do the best work of your life? Make your mark at Europe’s leading media and entertainment brand. A workplace where you can proudly be yourself; our people make Sky a truly exciting and inclusive place to work.
We have an exciting opportunity for a journalist to join the heart of the Sky newsroom on a 12-month contract as Text Producer, where your work will be seen on screens by millions. In this role, you’ll be part of the fast-paced nature of news broadcasting, working with an award-winning team on fascinating topics and breaking news stories from around the world.
Please note this role is fully based in the Sky newsroom (no working from home) and involves shift work and weekends.
What you’ll do:
- Write all our on-screen information straps, making sure our news ticker is kept up to date with latest developments.
- Use your first-rate punctuation, grammar and writing skills to be at the epicentre of breaking news.
- Monitor the news wires and keep across live interviews for breaking lines, sending news alerts to the 4.9million followers of the @skynewsbreak Twitter account.
- Forward plan on-screen information straps for future set-piece events.
- Collaborate closely with Output Editors and TV production teams, including spending one in six weeks working alongside Output Producers on TV output to gain more experience and develop your experience.
What you’ll bring:
- A recognised qualification in journalism.
- An understanding of broadcast law and Ofcom guidelines.
- Excellent writing, subbing, grammar and punctuation skills.
- The ability to react to breaking news at speed and under pressure.
- Ability to flag stories we should be covering on the TV output.
Sky News is a world-class news service with a spirit of innovation and a fresh approach to storytelling. Our aim is to be the best and most trusted place for news, reflecting the diversity of our audience. Made by people who dare to challenge. Made for people who want clarity in an uncertain world.
There’s one thing people can’t stop talking about when it comes to #LifeAtSky: the perks. Here’s a taster:
- Access to free NOW, for streaming all your favourite shows
- A generous pension package
- Private healthcare
- Discounted mobile and broadband
Where you’ll work:
Our Osterley campus is a 10-minute walk from Syon Lane train station. Or you can hop on one of our free shuttle buses that run to and from Osterley, Chiswick Park, Gunnersbury, Acton Town and Ealing Broadway tube stations. There’s also plenty of parking, bike shelters and showers.
On campus you’ll find six subsidised restaurants and a Waitrose. You can keep in shape at our subsidised gym, catch the latest shows and movies at our cinema, get your car washed and even get pampered at our beauty salon.
At Sky we don’t just look at your CV. We’re more focused on who you are and your potential. We also know that everyone has a life outside work, so we’re happy to discuss flexible working.
We are a Disability Confident Accredited Employer, and welcome and encourage applications from all candidates. We will look to ensure a fair and consistent experience for all, and will make reasonable adjustments to support you where appropriate. Please flag any adjustments you need to your recruiter as early as you can.
Apply now to build an amazing career and be part of a brilliant team. We can’t wait to hear from you.
To find out more about working with us, search #LifeAtSky on social media. A job you love to talk about.
Just so you know: if your application is successful, we’ll ask you to complete a criminal record check. And depending on the role you have applied for and the nature of any convictions you may have, we might have to withdraw the offer.