At DC Thomson we are a business with a purpose – to make a positive impact on the communities we serve.
We are home to some of the world’s best loved media brands, organised around local news and radio, companionship, kids, advocacy, energy, puzzles and hobbies.
The Courier, The Press & Journal, The Sunday Post, Beano, Stylist, Puzzler, The People’s Friend, My Weekly, bunkered, Energy Voice, Findmypast and Brightsolid are just some of the brands you might know us for.
Deeply rooted in our communities, we are investing in data, technology and talent to unlock a new level of understanding about what really matters to our customers. This is how we are shaping the future of media.
We’re changing the way we work to create a flexible, collaborative, learning-led culture that draws on expertise from across the organisation to create award-winning content and cultural moments that make audiences want to be part of our communities.
Our HQ is in Dundee and we have bases around the UK employing over 1,200 extraordinarily creative colleagues working in a mix of office/home/hybrid. They’re passionate about being part of the story of so many well-loved brands and they’re crucial to our ambitions for the company.
We’re looking for the best people to join us at DC Thomson, to share their energy, ideas and skills and be part of our story.
Why join us now?
DC Thomson has been transforming its news brands business and publishing platforms over the past few years and this is a fantastic opportunity to be part of a business that continues to invest in journalism, its future and its teams.
If you have a keen interest in current affairs, can write on a variety of subjects and hate seeing an apostrophe in the wrong place or a full stop missing, you’re just the person we’re looking for.
Working in a fast-paced environment dealing with the full range of DC Thomson Media’s print and digital titles you will:
Use InDesign and InCopy to:
- Help design news, sport, business and features pages.
- Help facilitate a smooth and structured flow of copy ensuring all deadlines are met.
- Craft compelling headlines, captions and story intros which grab our readers’ attention
- Polish journalists’ work, correcting spelling and grammar, rewriting copy to ensure the text fits the space, is logically structured and tells the whole story
- Ensure copy complies with legal and editorial guidelines and is factually correct, liaising with contributors as required
- Process a high volume of pages, accurately, to tight deadlines
You should have:
- Exceptional written and interpersonal communication skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Editorial experience in newspapers, magazines or other publications
- Good IT skills
It helps if you have:
- Experience in designing pages and moving content
- A relevant qualification (but experience counts just as much)
- Knowledge of the Editors’ Code of Practice (but we’ll train you if you don’t)
- Part time, minimum working two days per week
- 4pm – 12am
- Sunday shifts on a rota basis
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter.
This is a part-time position, working a minimum of 14 hours per week from our Meadowside Office. We offer a generous package including 34 days holiday (pro-rata), Health Cash Plan, Onsite Staff Gym, excellent Pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristics.
If you have any issues with your application, please email email@example.com
Please note that we reserve the right to close the vacancy early once we have received suitable applications. Therefore, please ensure you submit your application as early as possible to avoid disappointment.