The Manchester Evening News is the largest regional website in the country. We are in the top 20 Facebook news publishers worldwide with millions liking our pages as well as hundreds of thousands of followers on Instagram, TikTok and Twitter. We are growing our audience on Snapchat, YouTube and Threads and have big ambitions for reaching new audiences with our content.
We are looking for a Social Media Producer to further develop our social offering. We are looking for a journalist who is a creative, original thinker, bursting with ideas about how to help our stories, images and video reach people.
We’re looking for fresh ideas and new perspectives from people from a wide range of backgrounds, and we want you to tell us the stories you believe are important from our many communities so we can continue to diversify our content.
So, who are we?
We are Reach Plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Manchester Evening News, Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human.
Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
We are happy to consider applications on a flexible working basis, and will always aim to accommodate requests where possible.
This role is home and hub- based linked to our Manchester Hub. We are therefore open to candidates based in Greater Manchester.
What will the role involve?
You will be part of the social media team coming up with innovative ways to share our content – stories, images and video – on all our social feeds. We are looking for someone who understands and can ‘sell’ a story in an engaging way, whether that’s in words, images or through video.
You will be posting across our wide range of Facebook pages and groups. This includes posting content in different ways including links, images and through creating video. You will also be creating video-led content for Instagram, TikTok, Snapchat, YouTube and YouTube shorts. Some of this could include shooting, scripting and editing, as well as voiceovers and occasionally appearing in front of the camera. You will be working five days across on a seven day a week rota with morning and evening shifts so flexibility will be required.
Who are we looking for?
You are an NCTJ (or equivalent) qualified trainee or senior journalist. You are a strong storyteller comfortable with coming up with new and innovative ways to share content and translate complex ideas into accessible video.
You have a strong voice on social media and understand the Manchester Evening News brand. You are well organised, adaptable and creative with good judgement. You have a passion for telling stories on social media and you understand how people consume content.
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave – including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 employee assistance programme (EAP) for you and your nearest and dearest
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes
- We are also a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management levels
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.