We are looking for an Output Editor to work on our social media accounts and channels to help Sky Sports, Sky Sports News and Football Daily stay ahead of the competition for live sport coverage, breaking news and delivery of social-first content.
The role of the Output Editor is to oversee the production and publication of market-leading social media content and ensure both consistency and timely publication across Sky Sports social media accounts and channels.
As the most senior role with a publishing remit, you will manage a group of Social Media Journalists, working closely alongside them, while also liaising with the Content Production and Design and Sports Content teams, including commissioning content.
Alongside overseeing output and delegating publishing duties, the role will also involve publishing content directly where necessary, working across all sports and news.
What you’ll do:
- The Output Editor must be able to make key editorial decisions about Sky Sports output, commissioning material from the Content Production and Design team for all social platforms, across a range of sports.
- You will be expected to track and prioritise requests for publication of content from outside of the Social Media team, communicating effectively in-person and over email and chat.
- You must be creative and able to come up with innovative ways to bring both tentpole and day-to-day events to life across our social channels in new and innovative ways.
- When directly publishing content, including around live events, you will know how to tailor content for each platform, both in style and tone, for the highest overall engagement as well as with specifically targeted audiences in mind.
- You will be expected to ensure that our social content is of the highest quality at all times so that we maintain our position as the sports broadcaster with the largest following in the UK.
- Work closely with senior producers for football, news & community and sports, deputising for them in content planning meetings internally where neccessary, feeding in social-first content ideas around specific events.
- Maintain expert knowledge of current sporting issues and stories
- Support Sky and Sky Sports in the promotion of “Force for Good” initiatives
- Managing a group of Social Media Journalists, you will direct them on what events to cover, and content to publish across all social platforms.
- Ensure all Social Media Journalists you are managing understand and work in line with the Sky Purpose and Values, meet the highest content standards in the market, while complying to the Sky Sports’ code of conduct.
- Create individual objectives and specific KPIs for your direct reports, motivating and leading them individually and collectively to deliver against them.
- Influence the behaviour of others by leading by example both in terms of managing the delivery of world class content to our users and by demonstrating our Values and the Sky Leadership Behaviours
- Raise performance by supporting and challenging people, building a fair and consistent performance and development culture across the department.
Champion the concept of performance management throughout the department and encourage an environment of coaching and feedback.
Carry out annual and continuing performance reviews (PDPs) for members of the team responsible to them.
- Work closely with the wider Sky Sports Social Media team, including Content Production and Design to ensure consistency in approach and alignment around events.
- Ensure that lines of communication within and across departments are clear and workable
- Build and maintain relationships with wider stakeholders: Marketing, Strategy, Sky Media, and others to ensure we deliver revenue and acquisition KPIs
What you’ll bring:
- An expert knowledge of sport
- Experience in managing large or small teams, directly or in-directly
- Flair for social copy, ability to spot trends on social and capitalise on them
- Substantial experience of publishing social media content across all platforms, Photoshop and video cutting skills.
- A full understanding of the legal and regulatory requirements
- Ability to work with contributors and manage personalities’ different ways of operating
- Flexibility to work across a range of sports and social platforms to support the 24/7 operation of Sky Sports
- Knowledge of the news media and emerging digital technologies
- Highly motivated and creative
- A team player
- Able to readily embrace new technology
- Demonstrated experience working in a quick-paced work environment with tight deadlines
- A calm, organised and methodical approach to work
- Knowledge of SLA and KPI requirements
- Ability to work well with staff at all levels to ensure goals are met
- Ability to prioritise workload
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, combined with the ability to provide quick resolution to problems
- Must believe in teamwork, collaboration, adaptability and Initiative.
- Highly motivated, self-directed and influential
- A strong work ethic and a willingness to get involved in all aspects of the business when necessary
We deliver the most innovative and best Sports content experience to our customers across all platforms. We promote continuous innovation, driving value for our customers and high-quality output. Everyone is passionate about sport and proud of the work that they undertake both on screen and behind the scenes.
There’s a reason people can’t stop talking about #LifeAtSky. Our great range of rewards really are something special, here are just a few:
- Sky Q, for the TV you love all in one place
- A generous pension package
- Private healthcare
- Discounted mobile and broadband
- Access a wide range of exclusive Sky VIP rewards and experiences
How you’ll work:
We know the world has changed, and we want to offer our employees the chance to collaborate at our unique office spaces, whilst enjoying the convenience of working from home.
We’ve adopted a hybrid working approach to give more flexibility on where and how we work. You’ll find out more about what this means for this role during the recruitment process.
Your office base:
Our Osterley Campus is a 10-minute walk from Syon Lane train station. Or you can hop on one of our free shuttle buses that run to and from Osterley, Gunnersbury, Ealing Broadway and South Ealing tube stations. There’s also plenty of bike shelters and showers.
On campus, you’ll find 13 subsidised restaurants, cafes, and a Waitrose. You can keep in shape at our subsidised gym, catch the latest shows and movies at our cinema, get your car washed and even get pampered at our beauty salon.
At Sky we don’t just look at your CV. We’re more focused on who you are and your potential. We also know that everyone has a life outside work, so we’re happy to discuss flexible working.
We are a Disability Confident Accredited Employer, and welcome and encourage applications from all candidates. We will look to ensure a fair and consistent experience for all, and will make reasonable adjustments to support you where appropriate. Please flag any adjustments you need to your recruiter as early as you can.
Apply now to build an amazing career and be part of a brilliant team. We can’t wait to hear from you.
To find out more about working with us, search #LifeAtSky on social media.
Just so you know: if your application is successful, we’ll ask you to complete a criminal record check. And depending on the role you have applied for and the nature of any convictions you may have, we might have to withdraw the offer.
Remember to mention the NCTJ jobs board when applying for this position.