The Sun Online is the biggest digital newsbrand in the UK and now the fastest-growing news site in the US. The Sun’s multi-award-winning Audience department sits at the heart of our newsroom, with our talented journalists publishing the best coverage of news, sport, TV and showbiz, lifestyle and family value. The team is constantly evolving, driving record traffic across all platforms, growing new audiences, and building engagement and loyalty with our readers.
We’re looking for a talented, highly motivated, resourceful individual, with a deep knowledge of social media platforms and current affairs to join our award winning team at the heart of the newsroom.
Day to day you will:
- Report into the Head of Social Media.
- Play a key role in the ongoing development and execution of The Sun’s social media strategy.
- Curate content from across Sun Online to satisfy a growing range of audience demographics.
- Edit and maintain The Sun’s social media channels to a high standard in close conjunction with the rest of the team.
- Contribute to The Sun’s adoption of emerging social platforms and tools, and take responsibility for the growth of The Sun’s new social channels.
- Work directly with editorial, digital, video, picture, design, commercial and marketing teams, ensuring their respective demands are met.
- As a team, ensure the newsroom has sufficient insight to produce Internet-friendly stories, and take responsibility for their subsequent distribution on social media channels.
- Focus on targets and be clear on what is required in order to meet them.
- Work flexibly, including early morning, evening and weekend shifts, (currently hybrid WFH and office)
What we are looking for from you:
- Wide knowledge of social media platforms and current affairs
- Unflappable under pressure and deliver work at a consistently high standard
- Proactive and display a willingness to take on any task
- Positive attitude and great team player
- Take initiative in order to achieve desired results
- Organised and a good problem-solver, able to eliminate obstacles through creative and adaptive approaches
- Can demonstrate an understanding of the The Sun brand and audience, both print and digital
Please submit your application via the apply now button (include your Twitter and Insta handle in your CV)
We are News UK: One of the leading media businesses in the UK and Ireland, our newsbrands include The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, The Sun on Sunday and The TLS. Our national broadcast brands include talkSPORT, Times Radio, talkRADIO and Virgin Radio UK, and we have market-leading local radio stations across Ireland. In 2022 we launched TalkTV, a major new TV channel available to everyone across the UK, delivering a schedule of news, current affairs, entertainment and sport, with Piers Morgan in a primetime evening show. Our world-famous brands provide news, analysis, opinion and entertainment to almost 40 million people each month. Spanning digital and print, audio and video, events and experiences, our brands are home to a plurality of opinion, representing the diverse communities we serve. News UK is wholly owned by News Corp.
Life at News: At News UK our people are our heartbeat – they are the driving force behind our brands and we want to enable people to thrive. Some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you would like. Many of us work in a hybrid way between one of the News UK & Ireland offices and remotely.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 11 employee-led networks.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. Some of what we offer includes:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- 30 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
- Private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions
- Discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes
- ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme
- Access to wellbeing benefits such as physio/massage and counselling
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing. Please let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.
News UK is an official partner of the Journalism Diversity Fund, founder of the Journalism and Disability Forum, and proud member of the Valuable 500. At News UK, we will continue to promote an inclusive and diverse workplace, to help people with visible and non visible disabilities create careers in media and aim to make our content accessible to all.