The Sun Online is the biggest digital newsbrand in the UK and now the fastest-growing news site in the US. The Sun’s multi-award-winning Audience department sits at the heart of our newsroom, with our talented journalists publishing the best coverage of news, sport, TV and showbiz, lifestyle and family value. The team is constantly evolving, driving record traffic across all platforms, growing new audiences, and building engagement and loyalty with our readers.
We’re looking for a talented, highly motivated, resourceful individual, with a deep knowledge of social media platforms and current affairs to join our award winning team at the heart of the newsroom.
Day to day you will:
- Report into the Head of Social Media.
- Play a key role in the ongoing development and execution of The Sun’s social media strategy.
- Curate content from across Sun Online to satisfy a diverse range of audience demographics.
- Edit and maintain The Sun’s social media channels to a high standard in close conjunction with the rest of the team.
- Contribute to The Sun’s adoption of emerging social platforms and tools, and take responsibility for the growth of The Sun’s new social channels.
- Work directly with editorial, video, picture, commercial and marketing teams, ensuring their respective demands are met.
- As a team, ensure the newsroom has sufficient insight to produce Internet-friendly stories, and take responsibility for their subsequent distribution on social media channels.
- Help mentor and train junior members of the team.
- Take leadership of a shift in the absence of the Head and Deputy Head, including attending conferences and providing social guidance to senior management
- Focus on targets and be clear on what is required in order to meet them, including reporting on various aspects to better inform the team.
- Work flexibly, including evening and weekend shifts.
What we are looking for from you:
- Deep knowledge of social media platforms, news and current affairs
- Unflappable under pressure and delivers work at a consistently high standard
- Pro-active and displays a willingness to take on any task
- Positive attitude and good team player
- Takes initiative in order to achieve desired results
- Self-starter, organised and a good problem-solver, able to eliminate obstacles through creative and adaptive approaches
- Can demonstrate an understanding of the The Sun brand, both print and digital
Please send your CV (including your Twitter handle) and a cover letter.
We are News UK: One of the leading media businesses in the UK and Ireland. Our newsbrands include The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, The Sun on Sunday and The TLS. Our national broadcast brands include talkSPORT, Times Radio, TalkTV and Virgin Radio UK, and we have market-leading local radio stations across Ireland. Our world-famous brands provide news, analysis, opinion and entertainment to almost 40 million people each month. Spanning print and pixel, audio and video, events and experiences, our multiplatform brands are home to a plurality of opinion, representing the diverse communities we serve. News UK is wholly owned by News Corp.
Life at News
Driven by passion, guided by principles and acting with purpose. We represent, reflect and reach the nation, telling the stories that matter. We inform our audiences so that they can make decisions based on trusted information.
To do this, we believe our employees must represent different backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. We strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Strategy, which focuses on three main priorities – attracting talent from a wider, more representative pool, developing equity programmes to drive better representation in our leadership, and ensuring diversity and inclusivity in our workforce as well as the journalism and content we produce. We also currently have 12 employee led networks and groups that support our strategy and connect like minded employees socially.
Some of our benefits include:
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access
- Private medical insurance including coverage for pre-existing conditions
- Discounted gym memberships, free ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual yoga classes
- ‘Bikes for Work’ and ‘Electric Car’ scheme
- Up to 60% discount on Harper Collins books
- Access to exclusive events and competitions with exciting brands such as talkSPORT, Virgin Radio UK & The Times. Weekly virtual panel chats with top journalists and celebrities
- Access to wellbeing benefits such as EAP, physio/massage and counselling
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%
- 30 days holiday, plus bank holidays and up to 4 volunteering days per year
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when applying for a role. Please let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.