The Sun Online is one of the biggest digital newsbrand in the UK and now the fastest-growing news site in the US. The Sun’s multi-award-winning Audience department sits at the heart of our newsroom, with our talented journalists publishing the best coverage of news, sport, TV and showbiz, lifestyle and family value. Our hugely successful SEO team sits at the core of our publishing operation and is constantly evolving, driving search traffic, growing new audiences, and building engagement and loyalty with our readers.
Your role: The Sun is looking for a talented individual to support the development of The Sun’s SEO strategy.
Our SEO editors work on a rota so some evenings (usually one week a month) and weekends (usually once a month) are essential to this exciting, rewarding role.
Day to day you will:
- Be confident in identifying search trends and making recommendations to journalists and section heads.
- Report to the newsroom on SEO keywords and pages/articles driving search traffic.
- Own the SEO strategy for one of The Sun’s sections for example Tech, Travel, Motors.
- Create SEO strategy for upcoming events for example Love Island or the Olympics.
- Be a go-to person for journalists and reporters seeking SEO advice.
- Optimise the home page making sure all headlines are search friendly and there are plenty of links in every story.
- Work closely with the Live Coverage Editor on blogs.
- Communicate with the newsroom on big breaking stories.
What we’re looking for from you:
- An understanding of editorial SEO including Google Discover, Google News and organic search.
- Familiar with SEO tools for example Google Trends.
- Some technical SEO knowledge would be useful.
We are News UK: One of the leading media businesses in the UK and Ireland, our newsbrands include The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, The Sun on Sunday and The TLS. Our national broadcast brands include talkSPORT, Times Radio, talkRADIO and Virgin Radio UK, and we have market-leading local radio stations across Ireland. In 2022 we launched TalkTV, a major new TV channel available to everyone across the UK, delivering a schedule of news, current affairs, entertainment and sport, with Piers Morgan in a primetime evening show. Our world-famous brands provide news, analysis, opinion and entertainment to almost 40 million people each month. Spanning digital and print, audio and video, events and experiences, our brands are home to a plurality of opinion, representing the diverse communities we serve. News UK is wholly owned by News Corp.
Life at News: At News UK our people are our heartbeat – they are the driving force behind our brands and we want to enable people to thrive. Some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you would like. Many of us work in a hybrid way between one of the News UK & Ireland offices and remotely.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 11 employee-led networks.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. Some of what we offer includes:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- 30 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
- Private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions
- Discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes
- ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme
- Access to wellbeing benefits such as physio/massage and counselling
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing. Please let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.
News UK is an official partner of the Journalism Diversity Fund, founder of the Journalism and Disability Forum, and proud member of the Valuable 500. At News UK, we will continue to promote an inclusive and diverse workplace, to help people with visible and non visible disabilities create careers in media and aim to make our content accessible to all.