The Sun Online is one of the biggest digital newsbrand in the UK and now the fastest-growing news site in the US. The Sun’s multi-award-winning Audience department sits at the heart of our newsroom, with our talented journalists publishing the best coverage of news, sport, TV and showbiz, lifestyle and family value. Our hugely successful SEO team sits at the core of our publishing operation and is constantly evolving, driving search traffic, growing new audiences, and building engagement and loyalty with our readers.
The Sun is looking for a talented individual to support the development of The Sun’s SEO strategy.
Our SEO editors work on a rota so some evenings (usually one week a month) and weekends (usually once a month) are essential to this exciting, rewarding role.
Day to day you will:
- Be confident in identifying search trends and making recommendations to journalists and section heads.
- Report to the newsroom on SEO keywords and pages/articles driving search traffic.
- Own the SEO strategy for one of The Sun’s sections for example Tech, Travel, Motors.
- Create SEO strategy’s for upcoming events for example Love Island or the Olympics.
- Be a go-to person for journalists and reporters seeking SEO advice.
- Optimise the home page making sure all headlines are search friendly and there are plenty of links in every story.
- Work closely with the Live Coverage Editor on blogs.
- Communicate with the newsroom on big breaking stories.
What we are looking for from you:
- An understanding of editorial SEO including Google Discover, Google News and organic search.
- Familiar with SEO tools for example Google Trends.
- Some technical SEO knowledge would be useful.
We are News UK: One of the leading media businesses in the UK and Ireland. Our newsbrands include The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, The Sun on Sunday and The TLS. Our national broadcast brands include talkSPORT, Times Radio, TalkTV and Virgin Radio UK, and we have market-leading local radio stations across Ireland. Our world-famous brands provide news, analysis, opinion and entertainment to almost 40 million people each month. Spanning print and pixel, audio and video, events and experiences, our multiplatform brands are home to a plurality of opinion, representing the diverse communities we serve. News UK is wholly owned by News Corp.
Life at News
Driven by passion, guided by principles and acting with purpose. We represent, reflect and reach the nation, telling the stories that matter. We inform our audiences so that they can make decisions based on trusted information.
To do this, we believe our employees must represent different backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. We strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Strategy, which focuses on three main priorities – attracting talent from a wider, more representative pool, developing equity programmes to drive better representation in our leadership, and ensuring diversity and inclusivity in our workforce as well as the journalism and content we produce. We also currently have 12 employee led networks and groups that support our strategy and connect like minded employees socially.
Some of our benefits include:
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access
- Private medical insurance including coverage for pre-existing conditions
- Discounted gym memberships, free ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual yoga classes
- ‘Bikes for Work’ and ‘Electric Car’ scheme
- Up to 60% discount on Harper Collins books
- Access to exclusive events and competitions with exciting brands such as talkSPORT, Virgin Radio UK & The Times. Weekly virtual panel chats with top journalists and celebrities
- Access to wellbeing benefits such as EAP, physio/massage and counselling
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%
- 30 days holiday, plus bank holidays and up to 4 volunteering days per year
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when applying for a role. Please let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.