BBC News has a global reputation for trusted, insightful and impartial analysis of the biggest stories. We are now looking for a senior editor to build and lead a new team tasked with developing and delivering a new daily editorial offer for digital audiences that brings clarity and depth to the burning issues of the day, challenging assumptions and generating respectful debate.
The new team will be responsible for commissioning, editing and curating the sharpest analysis and insights from BBC correspondents and editors in the UK and around the world. Reporting to the Executive News Editor, Digital Output, the senior news editor will set the overall editorial strategy for the team and ensure delivery of outstanding content on the stories and issues that matter most to audiences.
You will have excellent editorial judgement and a broad knowledge of subjects ranging from politics, business and international affairs to technology, science and culture. As you will be working closely with senior BBC specialists, you must have the editorial finesse and robustness to shape their analysis into engaging, thought-provoking pieces that land with digital audiences.
You will also have a keen understanding of the difference between impartial, in-depth analysis and opinion.
You will work with high-profile BBC talent to develop a curated newsletter delivering their pick of the best BBC in-depth content directly to the inboxes of signed-up users.
And as we develop a new destination for premium analysis on the News website and app, you will also work with other digital senior editors and designers to develop new branding and an authoritative visual grammar to ensure pieces have immediate impact with audiences.
While the output will be mainly in text you will also work closely with video and audio teams to surface the best of their in-depth content.
• Understanding and experience of leading a team delivering digital journalism to a high standard
• Significant experience of commissioning in-depth analysis text pieces for a major news or current affairs outlet
• A clear editorial vision for building in-depth digital analysis as a major new strand of the BBC News offer as part of our commitment to impartial public service journalism
• Acute editorial awareness and judgement, with a demonstrable track record of delivering high-quality digital content on editorially sensitive or complex issues.
• A deep understanding of audiences and a proven track record of using audience analytics to guide commissioning and curation decisions.
• Ability to recruit and develop a new team, and motivate them to deliver creative and authoritative content in line with BBC editorial standards