Job Application Requirements:
• Questionnaire with opportunity to detail your experience
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in the UK.
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
• Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
• Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
• Benefits – We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
We are looking for Senior Journalists to join the Digital Live weekend rota.
A Senior Journalist on the Live team will be expected to take charge of live, on-the-day coverage of major news stories and planned events in text and video, ensuring the content is rich, accessible and up to the minute.
The role often involves managing a team of Live writers and producers working on a fast-paced story – assigning tasks, commissioning reporting, publishing posts and paying close attention to the flow, tone and editorial accuracy of the page, as well as video streams, clips, images and headlines.
We are looking for sharp editors full of ideas who can remain calm under pressure and to work collaboratively with others.
Senior Journalists on Live are involved in the forward planning of live coverage and can be deployed. They are also called upon to work on the digital news desks on certain shifts, including news editing and story writing.
These roles have a fixed weekend working pattern along with two weekday shifts
You will be able to demonstrate the following key criteria:
- Strong editorial judgement with experience handling breaking news on digital platforms and a proven track record of making the right decisions under intense pressure
- Proven awareness of the distinctive nature and requirements of live digital coverage
- Experience and understanding of the formats, tools, and techniques to plan and produce live digital coverage in both text and video
- The ability to sift news material with speed and accuracy and devise and enact an editorial plan in collaboration with others
- Experience of managing a team of reporters on daily, fast-paced live news coverage
- Knowledge of audience data, search data and social media to improve storytelling, reach new audiences and broaden coverage
- A track record of covering the UK and/or international news agenda and delivering insightful, high-quality journalism to audiences