The BBC World Service is undergoing a transformation to ensure that the best World Service content travels further and makes greater impact. As such we are refocusing our strategy to make BBC WS digital first, and to build reach and engagement on owned and operated platforms, including TV, and on digital. We are also changing the way that we operate.
World Service Languages Channels is a new department that brings together our TV and streaming offers. At the core of this are BBC Arabic and BBC Persian TV, which together have a weekly audience of over 42 million, some of the largest BBC global audiences.
We are looking for innovative Persian speaking a Senior Journalist Reporter to help to deliver this ambition, reporting to an Assistant Editor, Planning and Prospects.
As Senior Journalist Reporter you will research; write; report and edit engaging and well-explained reports and thoughtful, analytical pieces for publication. You will do field reporting and conduct interviews live two ways. In addition you’ll
- Develop contacts and monitor sources to build ideas for more engaging story-telling
- Explain complex data stories through graphics, charts and other visual journalism tools
- Advise the Persian Service and WS News about news topics and events in/about Turkey on a regular basis
- Provide ideas, guest suggestions and stories for BBC Persain programmes
- Liaise with the planning team to cover diary stories out of Turkey
- Work closely with editorial teams to improve collaboration in content production and sharing resources
Are you the right candidate?
You will have proven experience of reporting, going on air and contributing to live news coverage as well as:
- Demonstrable evidence of successful experience in producing creative, impactful TV and digital news content from Persian language sources.
- A proven record of demonstrating good interpersonal skills and an understanding of the importance and challenges of working as a part of a team at a distance, as well as working independently.
- Demonstrable involvement in high impact journalism
- Experience of reaching new audiences on social and knowledge of social media best practice.
- Proven ability to successfully work with colleagues remotely on complex editorial projects.
- Have the ability to plan and organize time and resources effectively and to manage projects to conclusion according to deadlines.
- Being a self-starting individual – you will be able to come up with ideas, get them commissioned made and delivered efficiently and picked up by teams and platforms across BBC News.
- Being fluent in Persian and English and the ability to communicate effectively. Knowledge of the Turkish language is advantageous.
- Being open to travel around Turkey in response to deployment need.
- Hold at least a 6-month residence permit in Turkey.
Role: Senior Journalist – Reporter, BBC Persian Turkey
Contract: Long term fixed term contract (up to 24 months)
Location: Istanbul Turkey
Job board closing: Midnight 9th January 2024
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Turkey and hold at least a 6 month residence permit in Turkey.
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours: https://performancemanager.successfactors.eu/S001190811T2/Our_BBC_Values.pdf
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual’s unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.