The Team: U105, a personality led radio station that broadcasts from the heart of Belfast with over 280,000 people tuning in each week right across Northern Ireland for a combined total of 2.5 million hours. U105 offers a mix of music and speech, playing classic pop hits from the 80s through to today.
Your Role: In this role you will be the lead journalist and reporter for U105, setting the news agenda for the day / week ahead, you will write and present hourly news bulletins, gather / generate audio and written content for broadcast and our online platforms, deliver when required stories, voicers or contributions for our portfolio of local and national radio stations such as FM104 in Dublin or Times Radio, manage the news department shift rota for staff and freelance workers and ensure all news content is compliant with media law and Ofcom guidelines.
Day to day you will:
- Collate and deliver news bulletins, updating regularly and moving stories forward.
- Provide content for multi-platform outlets, including programming and online
- Undertake relevant background news research
- Liaise with other members of the production and technical teams
- Manage the news department shift rota for staff and freelance workers
- Shift work will be required which will include early/late shifts, weekends and public holidays.
What we’re looking for from you:
- An energetic journalist with flair, imagination and strong editorial judgement, able to craft relevant news content for the audience.
- An ability to write accurate, tight and easily understood news copy.
- Ability to work well and calmly in a live newsroom environment; handle a rapidly changing news agenda and deliver to tight deadlines.
- Strong understanding of local issues and politics
- Good broadcasting voice.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Knowledge and experience of broadcast news systems and audio editing software is highly desirable.
How to apply:
Please apply for this position with your CV via our careers site and send an MP3 demo to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line U105 BROADCAST JOURNALIST APPLICATION.
We are Wireless Ireland: We create great audio and digital products. Our live radio and podcasts, along with our web and social pages, play a massive part in our listeners lives. We engage, we inform and we entertain with our market leading products. In Ireland we own or represent stations in all main urban centres, and we create award winning solutions for our commercial partners. We are also part of News Broadcasting with radio stations like Virgin Radio, talkSPORT, Times Radio and talkRADIO which are redefining speech broadcasting on digital audio platforms, connected TV and beyond. Wireless Ireland is wholly owned by News Corp.
Life at News: At News UK & Ireland our people are our heartbeat – they are the driving force behind our brands and we want to enable people to thrive. Some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you would like. Many of us work in a hybrid way between one of the News UK & Ireland offices and remotely.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 11 employee-led networks.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff.
In addition we also offer:
- 25 days holiday per year
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks
- ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing, so feel free to let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.