As the Science & Technology Reporter on the Mobile team, you will have an impressive knowledge of the tech landscape and thirst for what’s coming up, as well as be tapped into what matters in the field of science – and you’ll understand how to make these stories appeal to a broad audience. You’ll also have fistfuls of creative ideas for features and story treatments for live events. We’d like you to be fizzing with interesting pitches and we want you to follow them through from conception to publication. You must also be at ease with breaking news to large digital audiences showing off your flair and speed.
Your keen eye for a top line, diligent newsgathering and high standards of journalism will be crucial to helping Sky News remain a world leader in news.
- What you’ll do:
- Be at the forefront of some of the biggest stories of our time, breaking news to significant audiences on our website and app
- Pitch ideas for stories, explainers and features on your beat, writing to style
- Research, write and produce stories and original journalism
- Uphold Sky News’ standards of accuracy
- Work both independently and as part of a team
- You may be asked to work with the live blogging team on occasion
What you’ll bring:
- A first-class journalist with a track record of finding, writing and producing stories to a high standard for recognised news organisations – whether national or local
- Experienced in handling breaking news scenarios
- NCTJ-trained (or equivalent)
- Well-versed in media law
- Able to produce clean, engaging copy at pace and under pressure
- Willing to adjust your work patterns when events require
Sky News is a world-class news service with a spirit of innovation and a fresh approach to story-telling. Our aim is to be the best and most trusted place for news, reflecting the diversity of our audience. Made by people who dare to challenge. Made for people who want clarity in an uncertain world.
There’s a reason people can’t stop talking about #LifeAtSky. Our great range of rewards really are something special, here are just a few:
- Sky Q, for the TV you love all in one place
- A generous pension package
- Private healthcare
- Discounted mobile and broadband
- Access a wide range of exclusive Sky VIP rewards and experiences
How you’ll work:
We know the world has changed, and we want to offer our employees the chance to collaborate at our unique office spaces, whilst enjoying the convenience of working from home.
We’ve adopted a hybrid working approach to give more flexibility on where and how we work. You’ll find out more about what this means for this role during the recruitment process.
Your office base:
Our Osterley Campus is a 10-minute walk from Syon Lane train station. Or you can hop on one of our free shuttle buses that run to and from Osterley, Gunnersbury, Ealing Broadway and South Ealing tube stations. There’s also plenty of bike shelters and showers.
On campus, you’ll find 13 subsidised restaurants, cafes, and a Waitrose. You can keep in shape at our subsidised gym, catch the latest shows and movies at our cinema, get your car washed and even get pampered at our beauty salon.
At Sky we don’t just look at your CV. We’re more focused on who you are and your potential. We also know that everyone has a life outside work, so we’re happy to discuss flexible working.
We are a Disability Confident Accredited Employer, and welcome and encourage applications from all candidates. We will look to ensure a fair and consistent experience for all, and will make reasonable adjustments to support you where appropriate. Please flag any adjustments you need to your recruiter as early as you can.
Apply now to build an amazing career and be part of a brilliant team. We can’t wait to hear from you.
To find out more about working with us, search #LifeAtSky on social media.
Just so you know: if your application is successful, we’ll ask you to complete a criminal record check. And depending on the role you have applied for and the nature of any convictions you may have, we might have to withdraw the offer.
Please mention the NCTJ’s jobs board when applying.