Do you want to work with the leading multimedia news team in Scotland? We are now looking for an experienced Reporter to join our award-winning editorial team at the Daily Record.
You’ll have a proven track-record in delivering hard-hitting exclusives and experience in covering fast-moving live, breaking news stories. This is a fantastic opportunity for a hard-working news journalist to join the biggest and best team in the business.
We’re looking for fresh ideas and new perspectives from people from a wide range of backgrounds, and we want you to tell us the stories you believe are important from our many communities so we can continue to diversify our content.
So, who are we?
The Daily Record is part of Reach Plc. You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to Scotland and the UK’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Daily Record and Sunday Mail to the Scottish Daily Express, Glasgow Live, Edinburgh Live and OK!. We also own a huge number of regional titles across the UK such as the Daily Mirror, Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more). Our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human.
Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
This role can be home based or linked to one of our Scottish hubs, we are therefore open to candidates based in and around Scotland.
What will the role involve?
You will work as part of our dynamic team to produce engaging digital content. You will have the opportunity to provide live coverage of breaking news and deliver exclusive off-diary stories written in a way that ensures as many people as possible see and respond to our work, helping us to have a positive impact on the communities we serve.
You will build on your strong contacts within the industry, for story gathering in our existing and underserved communities. You will source and conduct interviews, take pictures and film footage whilst you are out on patch reporting, always thinking of how to scoop the next exclusive. This role includes weekend and shift pattern working so a flexible approach is required.
Who are we looking for?
You are a passionate and experienced journalist with an NCTJ or equivalent journalism qualification and in depth knowledge of media law. You are a first class writer with excellent storytelling ability and a keen eye for what makes a great story. You have a proven track record of working in a fast paced large regional or national newsroom environment and can hit the ground running creating engaging content at pace.
You have an excellent understanding of the Daily Record’s brand and know how to tell stories that will relate directly to our ever growing and diverse audience. You have superb social media skills and an understanding of how to utilise various social platforms to make content engaging.
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave – including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 employee assistance programme (EAP) for you and your nearest and dearest
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes
- We are also a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management levels
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.