The Financial Times is looking for a Washington DC-based producer to join our growing audio team in the US. This is an exciting time to join the FT as it expands its audio offering and focuses on growing listeners with a slate of premium shows.
You will work on Swamp Notes, a weekend politics show currently in development. The show will launch in early 2024 on the feed of the FT News Briefing, the FT’s popular daily news podcast covering business and the markets. The ideal start time for this position would be November 2023.
The candidate will be expected to work two days a week, helping to turn around a chat show featuring FT reporters and editors. This is a new offering from the News Briefing, which reaches millions of listeners every month and has been consistently expanding its global audience since launching in 2018.
You will be working closely with a talented and kind team including the show host/editor, the audio team’s executive producer, and the network of expert journalists in the global Financial Times newsroom. Our team runs on collaboration, honesty and flexibility.
The role requires a strong news instinct and the ability to work to tight deadlines.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a team that is pushing to innovate in audio. You will form an integral part of the global team spanning the US and the UK.
This position is a 12-month opportunity offered on a part-time basis. The working days are Thursday and Friday, with some flexibility required for booking guests and helping write preps.
- Book guests each week, and help with writing preps and gathering materials
- Helping record the roundtable discussions in our DC studio on Thursdays
- Efficiently turnaround mixes and quickly incorporating feedback on drafts
- Coordinate with in-house lawyer on fair dealing, copyright and libel risks
- Work quickly with the team to pivot the show, adjust the line-up and source new guests in the event of breaking news
- Develop relationships with reporters and editors across the DC newsroom, seeking out upcoming news and scoops for upcoming coverage on the show
- Share any assets with the podcast marketing manager and social media team
- Publish each episode on Saturday and write show notes
What we are looking for
- Experience working as an audio producer or editor
- Skilled in editing on DAWs. Extensive Pro Tools and Descript knowledge preferred
- Experience working in political journalism or producing chat podcasts is a plus
- A creative and adept audio editor who can cut down an interview quickly
- Strong news instinct and the ability to shift focus when news breaks
- Knowledgeable in US politics
- Ability to learn a host’s style and write segments based on their voice
- Experience working in journalism or newsgathering in any context
- Experience working in an audio team within a print newsroom is a plus
Please submit your application by the end of the day Sunday 7th January 2024