The Times and The Sunday Times are looking for a news sub-editor to work as part of the news production department.
The successful candidate will be an experienced sub-editor who has worked at a national newspaper or for a digital publisher. You must be able to edit copy and write headlines to a very high standard and have strong technical skills.
Apply with a covering letter and your CV by November 12.
- Sub-edit copy and write headlines and furniture to a high standard in line with the style guide
- Support the head of news production and their senior team to publish on deadline on all platforms
- Understand the requirements and expectations of the various section editors
- Work with the news desks and production colleagues in design, pictures, graphics and multimedia to produce sections efficiently and on deadline
- Work across all platforms, particularly when additional resources are required
- This job will involve regular working in the newsroom in London, with a variety of day and evening shifts across a seven-day rota
Skills and experience
- Strong sub-editor who can work across digital and print platforms with a proven ability to edit copy quickly, accurately and to the highest standard
- Experience as a sub-editor on a national newspaper or news website with a demonstrable interest in current affairs and politics
- Imaginative in writing headlines and other page/digital furniture; aware of the importance of search engine optimisation and metadata for the digital platforms
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, with the ability to solve problems and negotiate
- Experience working collaboratively with multidisciplinary teams
- Flexible and committed, comes up with ideas about how to improve the edition
- A strong understanding of editorial compliance and regulatory issues
We are News UK: One of the leading media businesses in the UK and Ireland. Our newsbrands include The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, The Sun on Sunday and The TLS. Our national broadcast brands include talkSPORT, Times Radio, TalkTV and Virgin Radio UK, and we have market-leading local radio stations across Ireland. Our world-famous brands provide news, analysis, opinion and entertainment to almost 40 million people each month. Spanning print and pixel, audio and video, events and experiences, our multiplatform brands are home to a plurality of opinion, representing the diverse communities we serve. News UK is wholly owned by News Corp.
Life at News
Driven by passion, guided by principles and acting with purpose. We represent, reflect and reach the nation, telling the stories that matter. We inform our audiences so that they can make decisions based on trusted information.
To do this, we believe our employees must represent different backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. We strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Strategy, which focuses on three main priorities – attracting talent from a wider, more representative pool, developing equity programmes to drive better representation in our leadership, and ensuring diversity and inclusivity in our workforce as well as the journalism and content we produce. We also currently have 12 employee led networks and groups that support our strategy and connect like minded employees socially.
Some of our benefits include:
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access
- Private medical insurance including coverage for pre-existing conditions
- Discounted gym memberships, free ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual yoga classes
- ‘Bikes for Work’ and ‘Electric Car’ scheme
- Up to 60% discount on Harper Collins books
- Access to exclusive events and competitions with exciting brands such as talkSPORT, Virgin Radio UK & The Times. Weekly virtual panel chats with top journalists and celebrities
- Access to wellbeing benefits such as EAP, physio/massage and counselling
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%
- 30 days holiday, plus bank holidays and up to 4 volunteering days per year
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when applying for a role. Please let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.