Daily newspaper the Oxford Mail is looking for a talented Trainee News Reporter to join our team.
We are seeking an ambitious, digitally skilled and versatile journalist to unearth the best breaking news, features, leisure and trending stories on an incredibly lively patch – replacing a journalist who is now off to the nationals.
Having been shortlisted for Large News Brand of the Year at the Regional Press Awards, this represents a rare opportunity to join one of the UK’s best titles.
The right candidate will be passionate about digital storytelling, be hard-working, full of ideas and have a desire to come up with innovative ways of presenting stories across various platforms.
A big part of the job will also be immersing yourself in social media, developing relationships and understanding what matters to the community.
We want to tell the stories our audiences care about – from covering crime and local politics to telling powerful human interests and championing the best of our local communities.
You’ll also ask the questions that hold power to account and want to play a part in helping communities build back following the pandemic.
Ideally, you will be an outstanding trainee with gold standard NCTJ preliminary qualifications and 100wpm or a fully qualified senior reporter.
If you have a journalism degree that is not NCTJ-accredited we will provide the relevant additional training for you to become a fully NCTJ-qualified journalist.
A driving licence is essential, as is access to a car. We work on a rota basis with some early and late shifts as well as some weekend working.
You will be:
- Brimming with ideas on how to tackle the remit and get the most out of it digitally
- Fully across what digital readers want from local news coverage
- A digital native, with digital storytelling at the forefront of all you do
- Excellent at developing relationships with key contacts to improve coverage
- Driven to succeed using the digital analytics tools at your disposal
- A self-starter, brilliant with time management
Please send your CV along with a covering letter outlining why you’re the best person for the job. Applications will be reviewed as they are received so submit your details as soon as possible.
Newsquest Media Group is one of the UK’s largest newspaper and website publishers. As well as a competitive salary, we also offer generous benefits including:
- Contributory Pension
- Perks & Discounts at various retail outlets
- Opportunities for team building and training days
- 25 days paid holiday + statutory bank holidays + your birthday day off.
- Structured career progression, ongoing training, and personal performance reviews
- Discount Vouchers
- Discounted Gym membership
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Mental Health Support via Lifeworks
- Eye test vouchers plus £50 towards new glasses.
- Annual Volunteer Charity Day
Newsquest Media Group is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation. Our recruitment process will consist of various stages and activities, as part of our commitment to fairness to all applicants, we will take into account any adjustments that could help you.