The Crediton Courier is looking for a full-time trainee multimedia reporter to join our passionate newsroom. It is an exciting time to join us, as we accelerate our digital growth and explore new opportunities, from video to AI.
If you’re passionate about story-telling and content production, about telling the stories that matter to the communities you serve, then we want to hear from you. From TikTok to X, videos to podcasts, live blogs to weekly newspapers, we want to bring our audience the news in the way that suits the story.
You will ideally have completed an NCTJ-accredited journalism course, and we will help support you as part of our career pathway to help qualify as a senior reporter.
Tindle Newspapers, owners of the Crediton Courier, is a family-owned, independent news group which prides itself on retaining offices within our circulation areas, and so you will be working alongside colleagues to produce both our popular weekly newspaper titles as well as driving our growing websites.
- To file stories – including news, features and sport – from across all our communities for all the titles in print products and online
- File a plentiful supply of accurate stories, meeting daily targets and deadlines set by the head of content
- Become confident writing into story shapes on templates, as well as organising, collating and adding images for those story shapes
- Play a part in compiling a calendar of key events in our community, and ensuring they are covered adequately and maximising newspaper sales opportunities and digital views
- Help build our brands’ social media presence, filing to channels as and when necessary
- Build relations with key personnel and organisations in our communities, meeting them regularly
- Act as a brand ambassador in the community
- To regularly conduct interviews in the community, building contacts and become a familiar face in our communities
- Take photographs and include video content as and when necessary
- To help identify content to attract a new readership
- Call templates on to pages as and when necessary
- Assist proof reading and correcting all pages to help all products hit deadlines
- Work with advertising as necessary to maximise commercial opportunities, including collating information and writing commercially-led content
Experience and qualifications
- Journalism degree or diploma or equivalent is essential
- Media Studies qualification or NCTJ recognised qualification is desirable
- Print and digital experience, including social media is essential
- Diver’s license is essential
In return, you will get to work in a business that still values local news and a chance to develop your career in a respected multimedia company where the local community is at the heart of what we do. We offer a competitive salary starting from £20,069 per year DOE, 25 days holiday + bank holidays, enhanced sick pay, and access to NEST Pension.