Money Writer, Times Money Mentor
Want to work for a rapidly growing personal finance, consumer and lifestyle website? Then join our award-winning editorial team at The Times Money Mentor – a website dedicated to offering tips, guidance, products and services to better manage your everyday finances to ensure you don’t have to compromise on the things you love.
The website, which is part of The Times and The Sunday Times, is now looking for a Money Writer to help bring our stories to life by combining excellent writing skills with a passion for helping readers understand money matters.
Your role: You will have a great eye for detail and know how to write accurately and engagingly about complex money products such as credit cards, bank accounts, pensions and investments. You will have some knowledge of the competitive e-commerce space and understand content that converts, in order to grow our revenues as well as our audience.
Working in a hybrid role – split between our fantastic London Bridge office and home – you will be writing new and updating existing content. You’ll be working closely with the rest of the team to present a variety of money-focused content that answers people’s questions in the best possible way. You’re a team player but also someone who’s just happy to get on with things.
Times Money Mentor is on a mission to demystify money, so a passion for telling stories that make it interesting and relevant to different audiences is a must. Experience in personal finance and online publication is a must. Please indicate on your application any relevant experience you have.
Day to day you will:
- Pitching, reporting and writing stories for Times Money Mentor.
- Writing in a range of formats – primarily expert advice and guides to Money topics.
- Monitoring analytics to understand what stories work and how
- Developing original and compelling ideas and creative ways to present them – which could include graphics, calculators, video, polls etc
- Understand what content performs well by maintaining constant awareness of site strategy and performance including traffic, engagement and revenue, using this knowledge to steer future strategy and content tests.
- Work with our commercial team on pitches for partnerships and campaigns around high-performing content.
- Updating personal finance articles, including explainers and best-buy lists, alongside our independent data providers, to build our SEO-driven articles library and evergreen content.
- Use data and SEO to get editorial and commercial insights
- Work closely with our compliance partner to ensure FCA guidelines are closely followed in all our content.
What we’re looking for from you:
- Excellent, accurate writing across a range of formats
- An ability to explain and convey complex subjects clearly and comprehensively
- You thrive under pressure and can work to tight deadlines while maintaining high standards
- You’re passionate about the future of digital journalism
- You have lots of ideas and the organisational skills to execute them
- You can work well independently or as part of a team
- You enjoy keeping up to date with personal finance news and products launched
- You can balance editorial and business needs and have a clear vision on how we can achieve the goals of growing revenue and audience
We are News UK: One of the leading media businesses in the UK and Ireland. Our newsbrands include The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, The Sun on Sunday and The TLS. Our national broadcast brands include talkSPORT, Times Radio, TalkTV and Virgin Radio UK, and we have market-leading local radio stations across Ireland. Our world-famous brands provide news, analysis, opinion and entertainment to almost 40 million people each month. Spanning print and pixel, audio and video, events and experiences, our multiplatform brands are home to a plurality of opinion, representing the diverse communities we serve. News UK is wholly owned by News Corp.
Life at News
Driven by passion, guided by principles and acting with purpose. We represent, reflect and reach the nation, telling the stories that matter. We inform our audiences so that they can make decisions based on trusted information.
To do this, we believe our employees must represent different backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. We strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Strategy, which focuses on three main priorities – attracting talent from a wider, more representative pool, developing equity programmes to drive better representation in our leadership, and ensuring diversity and inclusivity in our workforce as well as the journalism and content we produce. We also currently have 12 employee led networks and groups that support our strategy and connect like minded employees socially.
Some of our benefits include:
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access
- Private medical insurance including coverage for pre-existing conditions
- Discounted gym memberships, free ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual yoga classes
- ‘Bikes for Work’ and ‘Electric Car’ scheme
- Up to 60% discount on Harper Collins books
- Access to exclusive events and competitions with exciting brands such as talkSPORT, Virgin Radio UK & The Times. Weekly virtual panel chats with top journalists and celebrities
- Access to wellbeing benefits such as EAP, physio/massage and counselling
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays and up to 4 volunteering days per year
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when applying for a role. Please let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.