The Press and Journal is looking for an exceptional journalist to lead its live news team.
Based at DC Thomson’s Marischal Square office in Aberdeen, the live team sets the news agenda across the north and north east of Scotland.
It’s the beating heart of the newsroom and is responsible for producing quality content that engages The P&J’s local communities fast and first.
Reporting to the Head of Live, the Live News Editor (Aberdeen) is responsible for up to 10 live news journalists split across various geographies.
The ideal candidate:
- Is a brilliant journalist with an eye for detail, who knows what a strong news story is and how to tell it
- Is an experienced manager who knows how to play the team to their strengths and can push reporters to their full potential
- Has a strong track record of news editing
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment with deadlines and targets
- Works well under pressure and can manage major news events
- Understands real-time analytics and knows how to use data to inform story choice
- Is a social media native with an eye for trends and what makes social audiences tick
- Understands the media landscape and wants to be at the frontline of new and best practice
- Has detailed knowledge of the Editors’ Code of Practice, GDPR and media law
- Holds a full UK driving licence
Accountabilities and responsibilities include:
- Leading a team of reporters to produce a consistent flow of audience-focused live content
- Ensuring content is accurate, balanced and of the highest standard
- Managing resources, rotas and planning content
- Working closely with the Head of Live to meet targets and wider newsroom goals
- Fostering an inclusive environment where reporters can thrive
- Developing reporters by holding regular 1:1 and team check-ins
- Creating and maintaining relationships with local organisations and individuals
- Collaborating with teams across the newsroom
- Using SEO best practice to increase content visibility via search
- Supporting trainee reporters through NUJ qualifications
- Travelling to offices across the patch when required
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter.
This is a full-time, permanent position, working 35 hours per week from our Aberdeen Office. We offer a generous package including 34 days holiday, health cash plan, gym discount, excellent pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristics.
If you have any issues with your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that we reserve the right to close the vacancy early once we have received suitable applications. Therefore, please ensure you submit your application as early as possible to avoid disappointment.