The junior social media and platforms journalist is responsible for curating stories, pictures and video content for our social media and third-party platforms, including Apple News+ and Google Showcase. This job requires someone with an understanding of social media and how to utilise different platforms to reach new audiences. Experience in visual storytelling on social platforms will be beneficial.
You will work closely with journalists, designers and multimedia teams to present a variety of content types in the best possible way.
Experience in optimising copy for social media, choosing the best format in which to present stories and sourcing stories through social media will be beneficial. You will be a keen innovator with lots of ideas and the ability to communicate them effectively.
- Writing and editing copy for use on social media platforms
- Adapting pictures and multimedia for various platforms
- Editing and selecting content to appear on Apple News and Google Showcase
- Creating social media activity that engages its intended audience, in line with Times and Sunday Times news values
- Creative storytelling on social media: comfortable using a variety of techniques, from GIFs to interactives, polls to live Q&As
- Championing the use of social media in the newsroom
Skills and experience
- At least one year’s experience in a similar role
- Journalist with strong news judgment
- Knowledge of social media trends and emerging platforms
- Surface-level understanding of how to pull editorial insights from data
- Highly organised, able to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Able to collaborate with others and work well in groups
- Can clearly articulate story ideas
- Able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
Apply with a covering letter and your CV by July 4
We are News UK: One of the leading media businesses in the UK and Ireland, our newsbrands include The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, The Sun on Sunday and The TLS. Our national broadcast brands include talkSPORT, Times Radio, talkRADIO and Virgin Radio UK, and we have market-leading local radio stations across Ireland. In 2022 we launched TalkTV, a major new TV channel available to everyone across the UK, delivering a schedule of news, current affairs, entertainment and sport, with Piers Morgan in a primetime evening show. Our world-famous brands provide news, analysis, opinion and entertainment to almost 40 million people each month. Spanning digital and print, audio and video, events and experiences, our brands are home to a plurality of opinion, representing the diverse communities we serve. News UK is wholly owned by News Corp.
Life at News: At News UK our people are our heartbeat – they are the driving force behind our brands and we want to enable people to thrive. Some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you would like. Many of us work in a hybrid way between one of the News UK & Ireland offices and remotely.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 11 employee-led networks.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. Some of what we offer includes:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- 30 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
- Private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions
- Discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes
- ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme
- Access to wellbeing benefits such as physio/massage and counselling
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing. Please let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.
News UK is an official partner of the Journalism Diversity Fund, founder of the Journalism and Disability Forum, and proud member of the Valuable 500. At News UK, we will continue to promote an inclusive and diverse workplace, to help people with visible and non visible disabilities create careers in media and aim to make our content accessible to all.