Africa English makes programmes with a truly pan African agenda, that report and explain the continent with dynamism, clarity and rigorous journalism.
These include, The Comb, Focus on Africa TV and soon to be launched Focus on Africa Podcast. Collectively, these World Service programmes are some of the most listened to on radio and via partners.
If you are excited by the continent of Africa and want to be part of a dynamic, diverse, fun and creative team come and work with us.
- You will specifically work on and help produce The Comb
- You will be expected to come up with original and strong story ideas
- To research and develop story ideas including finding and setting up the contributor
- To create detailed briefs and work in the studio with the presenter to produce interviews
- Drawing from a range of storytelling techniques, to script and produce episodes
- To co-ordinate with the digital team to create digital assets to promote episodes
- You’ll be a curious and creative storyteller with first class writing skills
- You will have a solid track record as an experienced and self-sufficient producer of podcasts and/or live radio, displaying strong programme-making skills
- You must have sound editorial judgement
- You will have a good grasp of what it takes to make an excellent narrative podcast from finding stories to bringing them to life
- You must be adaptable and self-motivated
- You will have at least a basic knowledge in the practicalities of recording audio to a high standard both in the studio and in the field
- You must be proficient at editing audio
- You must have working knowledge of the geopolitics of Africa and its media landscape and audiences
- Knowledge of sound design is an advantage
- You are an avid podcast listener and closely follow podcast trends and developments both in Africa and internationally.
- You will have a good understanding of effective promotion and cross promotion of podcasts and the ability to take the initiative and generate additional short form or social media content that will drive audience to the podcast.
- You will have a thorough understanding of BBC producer guidelines, including how they relate to Podcasts and social media
- You will have proficient knowledge of digital and social tools including FCPX, Ibroadcast, Castaway and Social Flow
This role reports to: News Editor, Africa English
Right to work in the UK required.
Successful candidate must be available to start immediately. If attachment, you must seek clearance from your line manager.
For inquiries about The Comb Podcast please contact: Kim.Chakanetsa@bbc.co.uk