The Bournemouth Echo is looking for an energetic and driven head of news to help lead our push for quality work leading to an increase in audience and subscriptions.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for storytelling, the ability to turn events into news, and will be adept at presenting stories in a modern and effective way.
You will work alongside the editor and digital editor to motivate, inspire and improve the reporting team to help them achieve their goals and produce quality content.
The role will be based in the centre of Bournemouth and will see the chosen candidate get involved in searching for stories and shaping our editorial output.
We are looking for a creative, digitally savvy operator who understands the needs of a modern newsroom and wants to help deliver the best stories to our audience.
You will have an excellent knowledge of media law and will be comfortable dealing with members of the public.
Skills required include:
- Be able to inspire and enthuse a team
- Embrace the chance to have fun in your job and with your team
- Drive our news agenda
- Thrive working under pressure – including reacting to breaking news
- Be creative and full of ideas
- Understand the how and why of search and social
- Know who is reading our stories, where and why
- Create the right mix of content, for the right time of day and platform
- Know exactly what makes a story
Newsquest is one of the UK’s biggest newspaper and website publishers. We can offer a competitive salary and benefits including:
- Contributory Pension
- Perks & Discounts at various retail outlets
- Opportunities for team building and training days
- 25 days paid holiday + statutory bank holidays + your birthday day off.
- Structured career progression, ongoing training, and personal performance reviews
- Discount Vouchers
- Discounted Gym membership
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Mental Health Support via Lifeworks
- Eye test vouchers plus £50 towards new glasses.
- Annual Volunteer Charity Day
Toi be considered, please send your CV and cover letter by clicking Apply now. Applications will be viewed as they are received.
Newsquest Media Group is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all community sections regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation. Our recruitment process will consist of various stages and activities, as part of our commitment to fairness to all applicants, we will consider any adjustments that could help you.