The Financial Times is advertising for an intern position on FT Globetrotter, the FT’s digital city guides. This is a golden opportunity to work on one of the most forward-thinking, collaborative and innovative sections of the FT.
FT Globetrotter is an editorial product which collaborates broadly across the FT – with commercial, product and tech, the news floor and more. It is a great chance for someone thirsty to learn to be part of a new and exciting venture that is constantly evolving and trying new things.
To apply for this internship the candidate must be:
- Flexible in attitude and able to juggle several ongoing tasks and responsibilities
- Passionate about the subject matter
- A quick learner
- Self sufficient when given tasks to crack on with
- A good collaborator and team player
- Keen for broad experience in digital journalism, from audience engagement and social media, to commissioning, editing and production
- Research on stories, series and longer-term projects
- Social media (reels, regular posting on instagram, creating instagram stories and exploring what more we could be doing to grow our audience online)
- Audience Engagement projects with reader responses
- Opportunity to be involved in data analysis
- Fact-checking articles and updating our city guides regularly
- Attending meetings with the team and the commercial and Product & Tech teams
- Brainstorming ideas for commissions and multi-media content with the team
- Helping research media contacts and approaches for interviews
- Supporting the editor and deputy editor with general tasks
- Researching competitor content and strategy
- Opportunities to pitch and write pieces for Globetrotter
This is a 12 week, part-time internship for graduates starting in September, working 3 days per week (Mon/Tues/Weds or Tues/Weds/Thurs). It is paid the London Living Wage.
We are a small team, working hybrid days between home and the office. We tend to be in the office at Bracken House on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but at times Wednesdays.
To apply please attach:
- Covering letter (stating availability and interest in position)
- Samples of writing in English (ideally journalistic)
You must be eligible to work in the UK.
Please submit your application by the end of the day, 31 July 2023.
How we work
Our office is located across the street from St. Paul’s Cathedral and is easily accessible from all corners of London. There are the main train terminals such as Liverpool Street, Moorgate, Blackfriars, City Thameslink or Waterloo all situated within walking distance or there are several tube stations within a few mins walk such as Mansion House (District or Circle line), St. Paul’s (Central line), Bank (Central or Waterloo & City line) or Barbican (Central, Hammersmith & City or Metropolitan lines).
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
The FT is committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs.
Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.
About the Financial Times
Across the FT Group, our people are united by a mission to deliver world-class information, news and services to our global audiences. Our global, award-winning editorial team represents the gold standard in journalism, seeking depth, originality and balance that differentiates us from the pack and engages our subscribers.