This is an amazing opportunity for an innovative and creative editor to reformat and develop one of the best-known news brands in the UK.
We need a free-thinking, adventurous, confident and creative journalist with first-class editorial judgement and production flair to be the next editor of Newsnight, our flagship news programme on BBC Two.
Newsnight is evolving but needs to remain the home of major news-making interviews as well as stimulating impartial debate and valued discussion.
As the Editor you will reinvent and redevelop the show’s distinctive character and identity; maintaining the independence and integrity of the output and ensuring that it meets BBC editorial policy standards.
You will take managerial, editorial and financial responsibility for a team of journalists where you develop and promote a robust but creative editorial environment; encouraging the team to originate and deliver original ideas with editorial ambition.
You will represent the BBC at a senior level.
• An excellent journalistic track record at a senior editorial level of producing innovative, live news programming.
• The requisite creativity, ambition and flare to make an impactful, thought-provoking and entertaining programme.
• Demonstrable ability to make major decisions with authority and under pressure, and the ability to deal with daily and long-term editorial demands.
• Strong leadership skills, preferably experience of managing a large multi-skilled team.
• A genuine belief in the importance of truth, trust and transparency.
• Significant experience of driving change and development in an editorial setting.
• You will have outstanding communication skills required to influence teams, as well as senior stakeholders.
• Evidence of a commitment to the BBC News Divisional Objectives, the diversity and inclusion objectives, and developing and attracting diverse talent
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the below document:
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual’s unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please visit https://www.bbc.co.uk/diversity/