The Oldham Times is looking for a top-class reporter who is passionate about digital storytelling, hard-working, full of ideas and has the desire to come up with innovative ways of presenting stories across various platforms.
We are seeking an ambitious, digitally skilled and versatile journalist to unearth the best breaking news, features, leisure and trending stories from this incredibly lively patch.
The role would suit a trainee looking for their first role in a newsroom or a senior journalist looking to take the next step in their career.
The right candidate will also get the opportunity to report for other titles in the region, including The Bolton News and The Messenger.
A major part of the job will also be immersing yourself in social media, developing relationships and understanding what matters to the local community.
We want to tell the stories our audiences care about – from covering crime and local politics to powerful human interest pieces and championing the best of our local communities.
You’ll also ask the questions that hold power to account and want to play a part in helping communities build back following the pandemic.
The job will primarily be based at our friendly regional newsrooms Bolton – but you will be required to get out on patch and we are flexible about home working.
Ideally, you will be a fully qualified senior reporter or an outstanding trainee with gold-standard NCTJ preliminary qualifications and 100wpm.
You will also be:
- Brimming with ideas on how to tackle the remit and get the most out of it digitally
- Fully across what digital readers want from local news coverage
- Excellent at developing relationships with key contacts to improve coverage
- Driven to succeed using the digital analytics tools at your disposal
- A self-starter, brilliant with time management
- Passionate about social media
- Have an excellent knowledge of relevant media law
- Have a versatile, fresh, and energetic writing style with exceptional attention to detail
- The ability to write – and think – quickly under pressure
- An adaptable style to produce everything from live blogs and listicles to long reads and features
- Knowledge of SEO and its importance to digital journalism
- Collaborative skills to pool ideas with the wider digital reporting team and take on board suggestion
A driving licence is essential, as is access to a car. We work on a rota basis with some early and late shifts as well as some weekend work.
If this sounds like the role for you, email your CV and a brief cover letter by Tuesday, August 29. We will be interviewing candidates as and when applications come in so don’t delay in applying.
Newsquest Media Group is one of the UK’s largest newspaper and website publishers. As well as a competitive salary, we also offer generous benefits including:
- Contributory Pension
- Perks & Discounts at various retail outlets
- Opportunities for team building and training days
- 25 days paid holiday + statutory bank holidays + your birthday day off.
- Structured career progression, ongoing training, and personal performance reviews
- Discount Vouchers
- Discounted Gym membership
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Mental Health Support via Lifeworks
- Eye test vouchers plus £50 towards new glasses.
- Annual Volunteer Charity Day
Newsquest Media Group is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation. Our recruitment process will consist of various stages and activities, as part of our commitment to fairness to all applicants, we will take into account any adjustments that could help you.