We are looking for an Output Editor to work on our digital platforms to help Sky Sports and Sky Sports News stay ahead of the competition for breaking news, video delivery and live sport coverage.
The role of the Output Editor to oversee the production and publication of market-leading digital content and ensure its timely delivery for publication across Sky Sports Digital Media platforms (www.skysports.com and Sky Sports Mobile applications), and third-party distribution channels.
The role requires the management of a team of digital journalists, working within Sky Sports News and Digital Media, who will produce digital sports news and video content.
What you’ll do:
- The Output Editor will make key editorial decisions about Sky Sports output, commissioning material for the Sky Sports app, skysports.com, as well as syndicated sites – all of which are consumed by millions of people around the world.
- You will be responsible for leading a team of journalists and will have line management responsibilities for Home Page Editors, and Digital Sports and/or Digital Football Journalists.
- You will be expected to lead the digital desk at key times for sports publishing under the guidance of the Digital Sports and Football Editors.
- You are creative and able to come up with innovative ways to bring news and sports coverage to life.
- You will be expected to ensure that our digital content is of the highest quality at all times so that we maintain our position as the news provider of choice on the biggest domestic and international stories.
- Work closely with senior editors and Sky Sports News leadership to deliver against specific and clear digital critical metrics in digital sport and news publishing.
- Ensure the delivery and presentation of sports news and video digital content in a timely and accurate manner.
- Prioritise and oversee the promotion of key Sky Sports events.
- Commission and deliver class-leading women’s sports news coverage and video content.
- Alongside the Digital Sports and Football Editor, manage Output and Home Page Editors to create a seamless subbing process and support for all our products and industry leading push notification strategy and delivery.
- Maintain expert knowledge of current sporting issues and stories.
- Support Sky and Sky Sports in the promotion of “Force for Good” initiatives.
- Work closely with the Sky Sports Digital Video and Social team, as well as Sky Sports News linear teams, to ensure a consistency of output across all channels.
- Ensure that lines of communication within and across departments are clear and workable.
- Foster a strong working relationship with Sky Legal.
- Build and maintain relationships with wider partners: Marketing, Strategy, Sky Media, Sky Bet and others to ensure we deliver revenue and acquisition KPI’s Candidate Specification.
- Highly motivated and creative.
- A great teammate.
- Able to readily embrace new technology.
- Demonstrated experience working in a quick-paced work environment with tight deadlines.
- A calm, organised and methodical approach to work.
- Knowledge of SLA and KPI requirements.
- Ability to work well with staff at all levels to ensure goals are met.
- Ability to prioritise workload.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, combined with the ability to provide quick resolution to problems.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are mandatory.
- Believe in teamwork, collaboration, adaptability and Initiative.
- A strong work ethic and a willingness to get involved in all aspects of the business when necessary.
- Cost conscious with a strong focus on value for money.
What you’ll bring:
- A comprehensive knowledge of sport
- First class news-writing ability (including flawless written English), flair for headline writing, ability to spot a top line, know-how to refresh a story and keep it moving, and great eye for pictures
- Substantial experience of content management systems, Photoshop and knowledge of video production tools.
- A full understanding of the legal and regulatory requirements.
- Ability to work with contributors and manage personalities’ different ways of operating.
- Flexibility to work across a range of strands and platforms to support the 24/7 operation of Sky Sports News.
- Knowledge of the news media and emerging digital technologies.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Senior level experience of editing and producing sports content services, particularly in the digital space.
- Experience working within complex and multidimensional work environments, managing multiple stakeholders with different objectives.
- Significant sports journalism experience and demonstrable experience in multimedia production.
- Attention to detail
- An understanding of new and emerging media technologies and platforms and experience of delivering content services to each.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience managing teams
- Good knowledge of video production is desirable
- Experience and knowledge of audio and podcast production and publishing
- Strong working knowledge of media law
- Degree or equivalent qualification (NCTJ) in media communications or English
- This role entails working mornings, evenings, weekends and public holidays.
Sky Sports News
We shape sports news, bringing fresh, creative and innovative ways of telling stories to our customers. Our multi-platform approach means we reach a diverse group of customers across a wide range of platforms.
There’s a reason people can’t stop talking about #LifeAtSky. Our great range of rewards really are something special, here are just a few:
- Sky Q, for the TV you love all in one place
- A generous pension package
- Private healthcare
- Discounted mobile and broadband
- Access a wide range of exclusive Sky VIP rewards and experiences
How you’ll work:
We know the world has changed, and we want to offer our employees the chance to collaborate at our unique office spaces, whilst enjoying the convenience of working from home.
We’ve adopted a hybrid working approach to give more flexibility on where and how we work. You’ll find out more about what this means for this role during the recruitment process.
Your office base:
Our Osterley Campus is a 10-minute walk from Syon Lane train station. Or you can hop on one of our free shuttle buses that run to and from Osterley, Gunnersbury, Ealing Broadway and South Ealing tube stations. There’s also plenty of bike shelters and showers.
On campus, you’ll find 13 subsidised restaurants, cafes, and a Waitrose. You can keep in shape at our subsidised gym, catch the latest shows and movies at our cinema, get your car washed and even get pampered at our beauty salon.
At Sky we don’t just look at your CV. We’re more focused on who you are and your potential. We also know that everyone has a life outside work, so we’re happy to discuss flexible working.
We are a Disability Confident Accredited Employer, and welcome and encourage applications from all candidates. We will look to ensure a fair and consistent experience for all, and will make reasonable adjustments to support you where appropriate. Please flag any adjustments you need to your recruiter as early as you can.