We’re looking for a dynamic digital editor to drive The Southern Daily Echo to the next level after a year that has seen a huge increase in audience and digital subscriptions.
Is digital story-telling your passion? Can you use Google Trends, Crowdtangle and performance tools such as Chartbeat and Parse.ly, to make sure our reporting team is achieving their potential?
Then you could be the person we are looking for to help lead our newsroom and grow the audience on dailyecho.co.uk, drive digital subscriptions, and help reporters cater for our loyal audience.
You will work alongside the News Editor, motivating, mentoring and developing the reporting team – and helping them get the very best out of their stories.
You will take a leading role in implementing and adapting our social media and engagement strategy, alongside story sourcing, editing, homepage management and working on other strands of the digital business like newsletters.
We are looking for a creative, digitally savvy operator who understands the needs of a modern newsroom and wants to help deliver the best stories to our audience.
The ideal candidates would already be working on a newsdesk or could be an experienced senior reporter looking for the next step up.
You will have an excellent knowledge of media law and will be comfortable dealing with members of the public.
- Be able to inspire and enthuse a team
- Embrace the chance to have fun in your job and with your team
- Drive our news agenda
- Thrive working under pressure – including reacting to breaking news
- Be creative and full of ideas
- Understand the how and why of search and social
- Know who is reading our stories, where and why
- Create the right mix of content, for the right time of day and platform
- Know exactly what makes a story
Newsquest is one of the UK’s biggest newspaper and website publishers. We can offer a competitive salary and benefits including:
- Contributory Pension
- Perks & Discounts at various retail outlets
- Opportunities for team building and training days
- 25 days paid holiday + statutory bank holidays + your birthday day off.
- Structured career progression, ongoing training, and personal performance reviews
- Discount Vouchers
- Discounted Gym membership
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Mental Health Support via Lifeworks
- Eye test vouchers plus £50 towards new glasses.
- Annual Volunteer Charity Day
If this role matches your skills, experience and motivations, please submit your CV with a cover letter identifying why you feel this role is for you.
Newsquest Media Group is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all community sections regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation. Our recruitment process will consist of various stages and activities, as part of our commitment to fairness to all applicants, we will take into account any adjustments that could help you.
If this role matches your skills, experience and motivations then please submit your CV with a cover letter by February 19th 2024.