The Sun is the biggest news brand in the UK, publishing hundreds of stories a day and reaching over 170m unique users digitally every month. Its exclusives set the news agenda and its campaigns have changed the lives of many. In recent years, The Sun has campaigned for victims of domestic abuse, NHS workers and veterans to name only a few.
The Sun has a mass-market audience and aims to appeal to a diverse audience in the UK and beyond.
Your role: To help ensure TV Mag has brilliant exclusive interviews, the best access to talent and the low down on all the top TV shows so we outshine all other TV magazines and supplements. Work closely with the Editors, Forward Planning Editor, writers and other departments to ensure we have the best features and previews every week.
Day to day you will:
- Write impeccable and colourful copy.
- Commission and edit features and previews
- Set up interviews with talent by liaising with PRs.
- Create clever feature ideas.
- Help to manage features team and content.
- Making the most of our brilliant access to TV talent and seeking out exclusives to
- ensure we rise above the competition week in week out.
- Helping to manage a features team of permanent and casual staff.
- Commissioning and editing features and previews from permanent staff and freelance
- Coming up with innovative, creative ideas and concepts for interviews and features on
- a weekly basis.
- Compile planning lists and documents on a daily basis, previews lists and forward
- planning documentation in collaboration with industry sources and contacts.
- Keeping abreast of current affairs and trends through reading various titles as well as
- utilising other media platforms on a daily basis.
- Working across different platforms within the brand and having an awareness of the
- use of social media.
- Working closely and in collaboration with other teams on the magazine, and
- departments within the company, particularly TV Biz and TV online.
- Making and maintaining great contacts with PRs and freelance writers.
What we’re looking for from you:
- Brilliant writer who always gets the tone right.
- Outstanding copy editor with a great eye for detail and strong knowledge of house
- Outstanding contacts with PRs and agents.
- An expert knowledge of TV shows, celebrities and soap.
- Several years’ of relevant experience on a magazine or newspaper
- Willingness to go the extra mile and ability to turn hand to interviews, real-life
- features, copy-editing and preview writing.
We are News UK: One of the leading media businesses in the UK and Ireland. Our newsbrands include The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, The Sun on Sunday and The TLS. Our national broadcast brands include talkSPORT, Times Radio, TalkTV and Virgin Radio UK, and we have market-leading local radio stations across Ireland. Our world-famous brands provide news, analysis, opinion and entertainment to almost 40 million people each month. Spanning print and pixel, audio and video, events and experiences, our multiplatform brands are home to a plurality of opinion, representing the diverse communities we serve. News UK is wholly owned by News Corp.
Life at News
Driven by passion, guided by principles and acting with purpose. We represent, reflect and reach the nation, telling the stories that matter. We inform our audiences so that they can make decisions based on trusted information.
To do this, we believe our employees must represent different backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. We strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Strategy, which focuses on three main priorities – attracting talent from a wider, more representative pool, developing equity programmes to drive better representation in our leadership, and ensuring diversity and inclusivity in our workforce as well as the journalism and content we produce. We also currently have 12 employee led networks and groups that support our strategy and connect like minded employees socially.
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access
- Private medical insurance including coverage for pre-existing conditions
- Discounted gym memberships, free ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual yoga classes
- ‘Bikes for Work’ and ‘Electric Car’ scheme
- Up to 60% discount on Harper Collins books
- Access to exclusive events and competitions with exciting brands such as talkSPORT, Virgin Radio UK & The Times. Weekly virtual panel chats with top journalists and celebrities
- Access to wellbeing benefits such as EAP, physio/massage and counselling
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%
- 30 days holiday, plus bank holidays and up to 4 volunteering days per year
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when applying for a role. Please let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.