We are looking for a Crime Reporter to join our award winning team at the Liverpool Echo. This is a fantastic opportunity for a go-getting senior reporter, with a finger on the pulse of hard hitting news in Liverpool, to make a name for themselves in regional journalism.
You will get to lead the Echo’s crime coverage, managing major projects including high profile cases, using your passion for investigative journalism and storytelling to inform and inspire our readers and make a difference in their lives.
We’re looking for fresh ideas and new perspectives from people from a wide range of backgrounds, and we want you to tell us the stories you believe are important from our many communities so we can continue to diversify our content.
So, who are we?
We are Reach Plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human.
Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
This role is based in our Liverpool Hub, we are therefore open to candidates based in and around Liverpool.
What will the role involve?
You will spearhead crime coverage in the newsroom, directing coverage and getting to the heart of stories by knocking on doors and visiting local communities. You will forge meaningful relationships within the police, Crown Prosecution Service and other relevant agencies, helping you to be first on the scene to break exclusive stories and ensuring the Liverpool Echo remains the authority in delivering trusted breaking crime news within the region.
You will curate and deliver insightful and considered long -form content, examining the impact of crime on the lives of our large, loyal and engaged readership. You will support junior reporters and manage special projects including lengthy high profile trials, keeping our readers informed of the latest developments and outcomes from court. You will utilise social media platforms and a dedicated newsletter to increase your content engagement. This involves working a rota including weekend shifts, so a flexible approach is required.
Who are we looking for?
- An NCTJ level qualification or above with in depth knowledge of media law
- A proven track record of publishing digital hard hitting news content, working a CMS, shooting video and taking pictures for stories in a fast paced regional newsroom envcironment
- Demonstrable experience covering live breaking news and happy to appear in front of the camera
- You have excellent local knowledge and are able to travel to where the story is
- Good working knowledge of social media platforms and how to disseminate your content
- Confidence to knock on doors, build relationships and get your name out there
- Passion for digital storytelling and a strong interest in crime reporting
- Experience of crown court coverage and court etiquette is highly desirable
- Experience with off diary investigative reporting is desirable
- Due to the need to be on the scene quickly, a driving licence is desirable
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave – including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 employee assistance programme (EAP) for you and your nearest and dearest
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes
- We are also a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management levels
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if we receive sufficient applications for the role. Therefore, if you are interested please apply early to avoid disappointment.
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.