The Gazette has a rare vacancy for one of the best jobs in the news on one of the UK’s best patches. We are currently on the lookout for an exceptional journalist to take on the highly-coveted position of Court and Crime Reporter.
You will thrive under pressure, live and breathe news and aim to get your name on the front page and at the top of the homepage day in, and day out. Your stories will lead the news agenda locally and regularly make national headlines.
This role presents an exciting opportunity for a digitally savvy journalist. We want more than someone who sits in court – we are looking for a challenger of reporting restrictions and producer of exclusive investigations, backgrounders, and well-crafted news pieces around the big crime issues of the day, alongside the very best of what’s happening in our courtrooms.
Our nationwide network of court and crime reporters are some of the best-performing journalists in the Newsquest group. This is your chance to join that top tier. The right candidate will be delivering the sort of fast, agile, and dynamic coverage that our readers expect and deserve.
You’ll be passionate about digital storytelling, with a desire to come up with new and innovative ways of telling those stories using a vast array of different skills, tools, and platforms.
Applicants must be fully NCTJ qualified – including 100wpm shorthand – and have experience covering the criminal courts.
Candidates must also hold a full, clean UK driving licence.
You’ll also have:
- Excellent knowledge of relevant media law
- A versatile, fresh and energetic writing style
- Exceptional attention to detail
- The ability to write – and think – quickly under pressure
- An adaptable style to produce everything from live blogs and listicles to long reads and features
- Skills with shooting and editing video as well as online tools and apps for creating images and audio
- Bags of ideas for how stories can be presented in the best possible way for our audiences
- Knowledge of SEO and its importance to digital journalism
- Excellent social media skills and the ability to spot stories and trending topics
- Great people skills and the ability to get on with a wide range of people in the community
- A high level of organisation and the ability to manage your own diary
- Collaborative skills to pool ideas with the wider digital reporting team and take on board suggestion
What we offer:
Essex is simply a brilliant place to live and work. Newsquest Media Group is one of the UK’s largest newspaper and website publishers. As well as a competitive salary, we also offer generous benefits including:
- Contributory pension
- Perks and discounts at various retail outlets
- Opportunities for team building and training days
- 25 days’ paid holiday + statutory bank holidays + your birthday day off.
- Structured career progression, ongoing training, and personal performance reviews
- Discount Vouchers
- Discounted Gym membership
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Mental Health Support via Telus
- Eye test vouchers plus £50 towards new glasses.
- Annual Volunteer Charity Day
Please send your CV along with a cover letter outlining why you’re the best person for the job by clicking Apply Now. Applications will be reviewed as they are received so submit your details as soon as possible. Closing date is Friday, November 3.
Newsquest Media Group is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all community sections regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation. Our recruitment process will consist of various stages and activities, as part of our commitment to fairness to all applicants, we will take into account any adjustments that could help you.