The News Movement (TNM) is a new media business bringing together leading industry figures and young, passionate journalists to help reset how we tell “the news” in an era of declining trust and increasing misinformation. We know that many voices are missing from the present conversation – we want to change that.
We are driven by our purpose – to help millions of people around the world be better informed. We will do that by solving the under-supply of trusted, objective, high-quality newsand useful information on social media and other digital platforms.
We are particularly focused on serving younger audiences between 18 and 30 and believe that factual, non-partisan journalism can be told in different and exciting ways via the channels that our audiences already enjoy. We want to explain the world and uncover the stories that matter.
We are now looking to recruit a: Correspondent/Senior Journalist.
This role is for a dynamic journalist with an excellent news sense and a track record of breaking new stories as well as an understanding of The News Movement’s editorial aims and needs of our audience.
With a sharp editorial sense you will contribute original news stories to our output on socials. You will have a demonstrable grasp of how to tell news stories across different social and digital platforms.
You will be flexible and adaptable to the needs of a busy, ambitious and reactive newsroom – you will bring a creative mind to investigative, deep dive projects and have a ‘grab and go’ attitude to last minute deployments and breaking stories.
The right candidate will be a leading voice in our newsroom, developing original journalism projects, pushing new lines on running stories and contributing to our specialist subject areas of Arts & Entertainment, Sex & Relationships and Life & Style.
The successful candidate will also work on the development of long form YouTube documentary formats.
The role will be primarily office or location based, ready for reactive deployment and assignment. Within that framework, Work from Home opportunities will be positively considered.
Technically competent, you will have an understanding of production for social platforms including video and photo editing.
No day is the same at The News Movement –
● Contribute content, ideas and stories to meetings
● Spot the social trends that drive conversations and our journalism
● Produce on-the-day and longer lead content
● To act as an editorial leader on projects – developing and seeing projects through from ideas to completion
● Demonstrable ability to produce and originate accurate, compliant and engaging social video journalism across a spectrum of topic areas
● Demonstrable experience in pitches generating high performing original journalism
● An existing network – and ability to build relationships – of relevant sources and experts aligned with The News Movement’s verticals
● High level of technical competency when filming with phones / camera kit
● High level of editing / audio competency using PremPro
● Demonstrable ability to follow brand guidelines to ensure The News Movement has a consistent, high quality of output
● Strong news sense – identifying stories, contributors and story-telling methods to drive original journalism
● A clear understanding of the rules around copyright, legal compliance and the Editor’s Code where appropriate
● Flexibility around deployment
● Demonstrable experience interpreting audience analytics
● Ability to manage multiple projects
● Unwavering commitment to delivery high quality work to deadlines
● Excellent communication skills
● Ability to work as part of a team, but also as an individual contributor
● Alignment with The News Movement’s culture of creativity, respect, accountability and decisiveness
Our team and our principles
Our newsrooms in New York and London are made up of the next generation of talented journalists who understand new forms of storytelling, sharing on social media and creating community conversations and action.
Co-founded by a team of highly experienced media executives, everything we produce at The News Movement is guided by our core principles:
● FACTS What is the truth? And where are the gaps in our understanding?
● CONTEXT What helps our audiences understand why an issue matters?
● OPINION What are the relevant points of view that create a richer picture?
● DEBATE How do we empower our audiences to become part of the conversation? How can communities solve any challenges?
● ACTION Content that explores the options and helps with onward journeys
At The News Movement we are creating a newsroom for the future – building a dynamic and diverse editorial team that will deliver quality journalism for the mobile generation.We are growing in both the US and UK. From story selection to storytelling, we want to discover different ways of bringing people “the news”. Accurate and impartial, informative and engaging, surprising and entertaining, The News Movement will empower our audiences wherever they may be.
Our journalists understand how modern newsrooms work. They will know how to spot a story and turn it into great social content. Working with reporters and creators, designers and video producers as well as experts in community and audience engagement, they will know how to make the best social content.
We are looking for people driven by our editorial purpose (great journalism matters) and a passion for the platforms our audiences use. On TikTok or Instagram, Twitter or YouTube, Reddit or Telegram, you’ll understand how to tell stories for each platform, and you’ll know what will cut through with audiences.
Our culture is vital. We are a team, we work together with a generous spirit of collaboration. Being able to listen to each other and think-through ideas is vital. Our audience is at the heart of what we do. We offer an empathetic and supportive environment where every voice matters and we recognise every business needs many different strengths and skills to be successful.
The News Movement is all about doing things differently.
Please mentioned the NCTJ when applying.