At DC Thomson we are a business with a purpose – to make a positive impact on the communities we serve.
We are home to some of the world’s best loved media brands, organised around local news and radio, companionship, kids, advocacy, energy, puzzles and hobbies.
The Courier, The Press & Journal, The Sunday Post, Beano, Stylist, Puzzler, The People’s Friend, My Weekly, bunkered, Energy Voice, Findmypast and Brightsolid are just some of the brands you might know us for.
Deeply rooted in our communities, we are investing in data, technology and talent to unlock a new level of understanding about what really matters to our customers. This is how we are shaping the future of media.
We’re changing the way we work to create a flexible, collaborative, learning-led culture that draws on expertise from across the organisation to create award-winning content and cultural moments that make audiences want to be part of our communities.
Our HQ is in Dundee and we have bases around the UK employing over 1,200 extraordinarily creative colleagues working in a mix of office/home/hybrid. They’re passionate about being part of the story of so many well-loved brands and they’re crucial to our ambitions for the company.
We’re looking for the best people to join us at DC Thomson, to share their energy, ideas and skills and be part of our story.
Why join us now?
DC Thomson is on an exciting transformation journey to growth. Our brands matter to people and we are passionate about sustaining meaningful relationships with the communities these brands serve.
Focused on creating brilliant content and experiences that inspire our audiences and communities.
DC Thomson is looking for a Commissioning Editor to play an important role in the magazines team driving the evolution of our brands.
Reporting into the Head of Features & Specials, the Commissioning Editor will work closely with the wider magazines leadership team. Organising and commissioning work from freelancers, arranging payment and uploading to our CMS, the Commissioning Editor will also need to manage freelancer relationships and ensure writers are meeting requirements.
They will ensure overall tone and brand guidelines are adhered to and that a cohesive vision exists across the team, acting as a key element of quality editorial control across publishing outputs.
What will you be doing as Commissioning Editor?
- Working closely with Editorial Directors and Head of Features & Specials to devise innovative long-term strategies and robust processes for the commissioning of content for our magazine brands, plus additional printed products and growth projects.
- Working across several of our key titles: “The People’s Friend”, “My Weekly”, “The Scots Mag” and “This England” whilst understanding the unique tone of each.
- Commissioning content that is vibrant, imaginative and fit for purpose while conforming to the highest editorial standards, contractual obligations and deadlines set.
- Construct accurate and concise briefs and communicate them clearly with freelancers, along with deadline and rate information.
- Building and maintaining good working relationships with freelancers.
- Working with the Features Editors and Journalists to develop robust processes for receiving, co-ordinating and managing multiple pitches from a portfolio of freelancers.
- Identifying potential to use ideas across titles.
What we are looking for?
- Proven track record of editorial experience.
- Proven experience of managing external partners, freelancers and agencies and constructing clear briefs.
- Communicating deadlines, rates and content expectations clearly with freelancers.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
- Creative and innovative approach to content.
- Sound financial management skills to work within agreed budgets
- Resilient, self-motivated, resourceful.
- An ability to interpret instructions, prioritise tasks and work to strict deadlines and style guides.
- In depth knowledge of competitors and market trends.
- An understanding of media law and industry ethical guidelines.
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter.
This is a full-time, 6-month fixed term contract, working 35 hours per week. The role presents the opportunity for hybrid working that must include regular attendance at our Dundee office. We offer a generous package including 34 days holiday, Health Cash Plan, excellent Pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristics.
If you have any issues with your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that we reserve the right to close the vacancy early once we have received suitable applications. Therefore, please ensure you submit your application as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
Remember to mention the NCTJ’s jobs board when applying.