The Bournemouth Echo is looking for a top-class chief reporter to drive forward the news agenda and online coverage for Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole, as well as the wider county of Dorset.
We are seeking an ambitious, digitally-skilled and versatile journalist to unearth and present the best breaking news, features, and trending stories on an incredibly lively patch.
You should be passionate about digital storytelling and be hard-working, full of ideas, and be able to come up with innovative and new ways of presenting stories across various platforms.
The job will also require you to source and create video, including Facebook lives, in order to present stories to viewers.
We want to tell the stories our audiences care about – from covering crime and local politics to telling powerful human interest features and championing the best of the patch.
Part of this role will require you to take charge of the day-to-day running of court cases, checking lists and prioritising, allocating and discussing with newsdesk about how stories are covered.
Your time in court will be balanced with investigations, as well as covering council matters and other issues facing residents.
From time to time, you may also need to take charge of the team, stepping up to the newsdesk – so an ability to communicate in a constructive way and work in an organised manner is essential.
The role requires a fully qualified senior reporter with 100wpm shorthand or the ability to take effective notes. A driving licence is essential, as is access to a car.
We work on a rota basis with some early and late shifts as well as some weekend work.
You will be:
- Brimming with ideas on how to tackle the remit and get the most out of it digitally
- Fully across what digital readers want from local news coverage
- A digital native, with digital storytelling at the forefront of all you do
- Excellent at developing relationships with key contacts to improve coverage
- Driven to succeed using the digital analytics tools at your disposal
- A self-starter and good at managing your time
- The ability to lead a team of reporters and step up to newsdesk when required
To be considered, please send your CV and a brief cover letter by clicking Apply Now below.
Newsquest Media Group is one of the UK’s largest newspaper and website publishers. As well as a competitive salary, we also offer generous benefits including:
- Contributory Pension
- Perks & Discounts at various retail outlets
- Opportunities for team building and training days
- 25 days paid holiday + statutory bank holidays + your birthday day off.
- Structured career progression, ongoing training, and personal performance reviews
- Discount Vouchers
- Discounted Gym membership
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Mental Health Support via Lifeworks
- Eye test vouchers plus £50 towards new glasses.
- Annual Volunteer Charity Day
Newsquest Media Group is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
Our recruitment process will consist of various stages and activities, as part of our commitment to fairness to all applicants, we will take into account any adjustments that could help you.