The Sun is the biggest news brand in the UK, publishing hundreds of stories a day and reaching over 170m unique users digitally every month. Its exclusives set the news agenda and its campaigns have changed the lives of many.
The Sun has a mass-market audience and aims to appeal to a diverse audience in the UK and beyond.
The role requires a self-motivated, energetic individual who has extensive media experience and is used to operating within a fast-paced news environment. This is an opportunity to work for a famous brand and drive reputation by amplifying positive actions.
Your Role: We are looking for strong digital-first picture editors who are comfortable across all current and emerging digital platforms as well as contributing to print. The successful applicant will be a quick thinker who is able to produce ideas and spot a “Sun” story and develop it to go multi-platform
Day to day you will:
- Source images and have dialogue with agencies and photographers to obtain content for all departments.
- Handle breaking news content in a fast paced environment.
- Create multi-platform content with an emphasis on engaging, shareable stories.
- Be able to stay on top of the UK conversation, and spot and quickly turn around agenda setting social stories.
- Understand and successfully implement our unique tone and values, in order to quickly establish ourselves as a major player on social media.
- Be able to thrive in a target driven environment and be able to react appropriately to statistic based feedback and analysis.
- Have a natural understanding of what drives views and engagement on social media.
- Know exactly what readers require to get them coming back, and keep them engaged.
- Be full of ideas, and be able to successfully and uniquely transfer them on to all digital platforms.
- Be an advocate of the newest digital platforms and look to always be thinking how we can adapt to successfully tell our stories on them.
- Be able to work as part of a team in a constantly adapting working environment that is always striving to find the new way of telling stories.
- Be flexible and available to cover shifting rota patterns including weekends and evenings.
What we are looking for from you:
- Good eye for detail and cropping images
- An understanding of photo-shop
- Flexible attitude to working hours across seven days
- A willingness to embrace ongoing print & digital challenges such as social media
- Good under pressure
We are News UK: One of the leading media businesses in the UK and Ireland. Our newsbrands include The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, The Sun on Sunday and The TLS. Our national broadcast brands include talkSPORT, Times Radio, TalkTV and Virgin Radio UK, and we have market-leading local radio stations across Ireland. Our world-famous brands provide news, analysis, opinion and entertainment to almost 40 million people each month. Spanning print and pixel, audio and video, events and experiences, our multiplatform brands are home to a plurality of opinion, representing the diverse communities we serve. News UK is wholly owned by News Corp.
Life at News
Driven by passion, guided by principles and acting with purpose. We represent, reflect and reach the nation, telling the stories that matter. We inform our audiences so that they can make decisions based on trusted information.
To do this, we believe our employees must represent different backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. We strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Strategy, which focuses on three main priorities – attracting talent from a wider, more representative pool, developing equity programmes to drive better representation in our leadership, and ensuring diversity and inclusivity in our workforce as well as the journalism and content we produce. We also currently have 12 employee led networks and groups that support our strategy and connect like minded employees socially.
Some of our benefits include:
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access
- Private medical insurance including coverage for pre-existing conditions
- Discounted gym memberships, free ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual yoga classes
- ‘Bikes for Work’ and ‘Electric Car’ scheme
- Up to 60% discount on Harper Collins books
- Access to exclusive events and competitions with exciting brands such as talkSPORT, Virgin Radio UK & The Times. Weekly virtual panel chats with top journalists and celebrities
- Access to wellbeing benefits such as EAP, physio/massage and counselling
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%
- 30 days holiday, plus bank holidays and up to 4 volunteering days per year
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when applying for a role. Please let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.