The Sun is the most popular newsbrand in the UK, reaching 38.2million people a month across digital and print. The Sun is at the heart of the nation’s conversation, blending serious investigations, agenda-setting campaigns, political scoops and celebrity gossip. More than a newspaper. The Sun is an instigator, an entertainer, a cultural reference point, a finger on the pulse, a daily relationship.We have a talented, diverse team who publish the best coverage of news, sport, lifestyle and showbiz in print and digital.
The Role: The Assistant Digital Editor (News) will run the digital news desk, managing output across all platforms
Day to day you will:
- Run the day to day digital news output, managing the team and workflows of the news operation.
- Help to supplement content from all other departments and verticals and take overall responsibility for motors content
- Knowledge of SEO and an understanding of differing audience behaviours across multiple platforms
- Generate and oversee exclusive, original content across the UK and US operations.
- Support the Director of Digital and UK Digital editor in the management of the team as required
- Potentially run the digital operation at weekends
- Take an active role in digital transformation of the newsroom
- Take an active role in promoting enhanced video strategy in the newsroom.
What we are looking for from you:
- Experience at senior editor level at a large publication.
- Knowledge of media law.
- Ability to perform at the very top level in an incredibly competitive market
- Some experience of leading and managing a team.
- Unflappable under pressure and delivers work at a consistently high standard.
- Proactive and displays a willingness to take on any task.
- Positive attitude and good team player.
- Takes initiative in order to achieve desired results.
- Self-starter, organised and a good problem-solver, able to eliminate obstacles through creative and adaptive approaches.
- Experience working collaboratively with multidisciplinary teams.
- Can demonstrate an understanding of the The Sun brand, both print and digital.
- Flexibility to work shift patterns across 7 days.
We are News UK: One of the leading media businesses in the UK and Ireland, our newsbrands include The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, The Sun on Sunday and The TLS. Our national broadcast brands include talkSPORT, Times Radio, talkRADIO and Virgin Radio, and we have market-leading local radio stations across Ireland. In April 2022, we launched TalkTV, a major new TV channel available to everyone across the UK, delivering a schedule of news, current affairs and entertainment and sport. Our world-famous brands provide news, analysis, opinion and entertainment to almost 40 million people each month. Spanning digital and print, audio and video, events and experiences, our brands are home to a plurality of opinion, representing the diverse communities we serve. News UK is wholly owned by News Corp.
Life at News
Driven by passion, guided by principles and acting with purpose. We represent, reflect and reach the nation, telling the stories that matter. We inform our audiences so that they can make decisions based on trusted information.
To do this, we believe our employees must represent different backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. We strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Strategy, which focuses on three main priorities – attracting talent from a wider, more representative pool, developing equity programmes to drive better representation in our leadership, and ensuring diversity and inclusivity in our workforce as well as the journalism and content we produce. We also currently have 12 employee led networks and groups that support our strategy and connect like minded employees socially.
Some of our benefits include:
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access
- Private medical insurance including coverage for pre-existing conditions
- Discounted gym memberships, free ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual yoga classes
- ‘Bikes for Work’ and ‘Electric Car’ scheme
- Up to 60% discount on Harper Collins books
- Access to exclusive events and competitions with exciting brands such as talkSPORT, Virgin Radio UK & The Times. Weekly virtual panel chats with top journalists and celebrities
- Access to wellbeing benefits such as EAP, physio/massage and counselling
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%
- 30 days holiday, plus bank holidays and up to 4 volunteering days per year
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when applying for a role. Please let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.