Do you have the skills and capabilities to be a key part of the team responsible for Sky News coverage in Asia, on all TV and digital platforms? This is a rare opportunity to work with the current Sky News bureau in Bangkok, reporting to the Head of International News. Television newsgathering and production experience, including in hostile environments, is essential.
What you’ll do:
- Work with the Sky News Asia bureau from their base in Bangkok
- Regular travel, often at short notice when reacting to breaking news, including in hostile environments
- Produce coverage of impactful news stories and news features from across the continent in written, audio and visual form
- Collaborate with bureau colleagues to prioritise and decide editorial approaches
- Play a key influencing role with TV and digital production staff to ensure we are making the most of our content across all platforms
- Help create a newsgathering strategy for Asia in conjunction with colleagues in Sky News China and India bureaux
- Logistical and administrative planning
- • Take responsibility for assessing risk and developing plans accordingly
- Develop and display relevant expertise on politics, society and culture across the continent
- Brief senior colleagues on plans and developments.
What you’ll bring:
- Demonstrable experience of newsgathering in hostile environments
- Ability to take control of dynamic situations and lead a team
- Communication skills and ability to form and develop contact networks
- Strong decision-making and the ability to prioritise
- Ambitious editorial approach and a successful track record as a TV and digital producer
- Creative ability in relation to writing, storytelling and package production.
- Evidence of editorial judgement, factual accuracy, and journalistic enterprise.
- Understanding of risk assessment processes in conjunction with Sky News teams
- Ability to understand story priorities within context of politics, society and culture across Asia
- Strong understanding of media laws and compliance issues • Ability to handle budgets and bureau accounting processes
Sky News is a world-class news service with a spirit of innovation and a fresh approach to story-telling. Our aim is to be the best and most trusted place for news, reflecting the diversity of our audience. Made by people who dare to challenge. Made for people who want clarity in an uncertain world.
There’s a reason people can’t stop talking about #LifeAtSky. Our great range of rewards really are something special, here are just a few:
- Sky Q, for the TV you love all in one place
- A generous pension package
- Private healthcare
- Discounted mobile and broadband
- Access a wide range of exclusive Sky VIP rewards and experiences
How you’ll work:
We know the world has changed, and we want to offer our employees the chance to collaborate at our unique office spaces, whilst enjoying the convenience of working from home.
We’ve adopted a hybrid working approach to give more flexibility on where and how we work. You’ll find out more about what this means for this role during the recruitment process.
At Sky we don’t just look at your CV. We’re more focused on who you are and your potential. We also know that everyone has a life outside work, so we’re happy to discuss flexible working.
We are a Disability Confident Accredited Employer, and welcome and encourage applications from all candidates. We will look to ensure a fair and consistent experience for all, and will make reasonable adjustments to support you where appropriate. Please flag any adjustments you need to your recruiter as early as you can.