Newsquest is seeking an AI-Assisted Reporter to join our team and help us expand our use of AI technology, focusing on newsrooms in West Yorkshire. The successful candidate will be at the forefront of a new era in journalism, utilising AI technology to create national, local, and hyper-local content for our news brands, while also applying their traditional journalism skills. This is an exciting opportunity for someone passionate about journalism and the potential for AI to contribute to the way we produce and consume news, without losing sight of the importance of quality reporting and writing.
As an AI-assisted reporter, you will have the opportunity to develop your news and technical skills, including learning how to manage and utilise AI technology effectively.
You’ll play a key role in ensuring that our articles meet the highest standards of accuracy, information, and compliance with media law, plagiarism, and privacy, utilising your journalistic expertise alongside AI tools.
You will be required to work from our newsroom in Skipton, and occasionally Bradford and York.
- Work with an AI system to help write news articles, while also utilising your journalism skills to maintain the quality and authenticity of the content
- Ensure that all content produced meets legal and ethical standards, including those related to media law, plagiarism, privacy, and accuracy
- Efficiently upload and manage stories, using time-saving AI tools and techniques to ensure a seamless process without compromising the quality of the content
- Meet story count targets
- Contribute to the development of AI technology by monitoring the performance of AI-generated content and identifying areas for improvement
- Work closely with our existing editorial teams to help integrate selected AI-generated content into a variety of newsrooms
- Train other reporters in the use of AI technology
- Stay up to date with industry trends and best practices related to AI and journalism
- NCTJ diploma or equivalent
- Excellent writing and editing skills, with strong attention to detail
- A strong understanding of journalistic principles and practices
- Excellent working knowledge of relevant media law and adherence to the Editors’ Code of Conduct are vital to fulfilling the functions of the role
- Creativity and innovation, with a willingness to experiment with new approaches and techniques
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Ability to analyse data and generate insights to inform content decisions
Newsquest Media Group is one of the UK’s largest newspaper and website publishers. As well as a competitive salary, we also offer generous benefits including:
- Contributory pension
- Perks and discounts at various retail outlets
- Opportunities for team building and training days
- 25 days’ paid holiday + statutory bank holidays + your birthday day off.
- Structured career progression, ongoing training, and personal performance reviews
- Discount Vouchers
- Discounted Gym membership
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Mental Health Support via Lifeworks
- Eye test vouchers plus £50 towards new glasses.
- Annual Volunteer Charity Day
Newsquest Media Group is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all community sections regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation. Our recruitment process will consist of various stages and activities, as part of our commitment to fairness to all applicants, we will take into account any adjustments that could help you.
Please send your CV and a cover letter outlining why you’re the best person for the job. Applications will be reviewed as they are received so submit your details as soon as possible.