Course Type: Higher Education Undergraduate
Centre: Bournemouth University
Region: South West England
Duration: 3 years
About the course:
If you’d like an exciting career in the fast-paced world of journalism then this is the course for you. Develop the skills needed to work in a multi-disciplinary media environment including TV, radio, print and online journalism. The well established BAMMJ degree has been running for 28 years and has thousands of graduates in the journalism industry. We are proud of our industry endorsements and always strive to match industry demands and digital, mobile requirements. We aim that our gradates leave as responsible, independent multimedia journalists ready for employment.
- Produce news broadcasts in our professional TV studios, design magazines, film TV news packages and interview members of the public as well as guests on live radio
- Take part in authentic news day activities in the community to reflect real industry practice and publish news and features across our student platforms
- Experience rolling news cycles in our live converged news environments
- Produce magazines, radio shows, podcasts and video content as journalists of our student media platform Nerve News.
- Learn from experienced professionals and successful alumni. Previous speakers include Jon Snow (Channel 4), Jake Wallis Simons (Daily Mail Online), and Stephen Sackur (BBC HARDTalk)
- Take advantage of BU’s partnership with AFC Bournemouth to cover home games, attend pre-match conferences and conduct interviews at Vitality Stadium
- Make invaluable industry connections during a 30-week work placement with organisations such as national and regional media, the BBC and Sky Sports.
- BU is ranked amongst the top 10 best UK universities for journalism, publishing and PR (The best UK universities 2021 league table - The Guardian).
- There are various placement opportunities. Students can opt for 3 years full-time with a 4-week placement, or 4 years full-time with a 30-week placement. There are also study abroad opportunities with link universities internationally.
- You'll be career ready with 89% of graduates from our media, journalism and communications courses in employment after 15 months.
NCTJ elective modules offered:
- Journalism for a Digital Audience
- Public Affairs for Journalists
- Shorthand for Journalists
- Broadcast Journalism
- Media Law Court Reporting
- Videojournalism for online
- Sports Journalism
- Business of Magazines
- Photography for Journalists
We have a foundation year option for UK students who do not meet the entry requirements for the degree course. This additional year of study will give you a grounding in the media & communication skills required for this course, building your confidence, knowledge and skills for further study. After successful completion of the foundation year, you will progress to the full degree.
“The skills I developed during my course allowed me to confidently step straight into industry and achieve success in a newsroom.
"The range of abilities I obtained by the end of my degree are called upon on a daily basis in my work environment.”
Jason Lewis, chief reporter, Bournemouth Echo
Job destinations of graduates include:
- Sky News and Sky Sports News
- The Athletic
- Reach plc
- Capital Radio
For admissions enquiries, please contact Miriam Phillips at [email protected].