In the week of World Mental Health Day, this new training session will highlight some of the issues about mental health and wellbeing in the newsroom.
It is important for journalists and editors to be aware of some of the risks in a rapidly-changing industry and in a job that remains as pressurised as ever.
Mental health issues have also been exacerbated by feelings of isolation which were particularly prominent during the Covid-19 pandemic; and the subsequent working from home and hybrid working patterns which have become commonplace.
This course will suit anyone in the profession who wishes to understand more about mental health in an editorial setting – whether for themselves or for their team.
Key areas of focus will be:
- Causes of mental health issues and how they manifest themselves
- Guidance to recognise mental health issues in yourself or others
- Steps to take if you recognise mental health issues in yourself or others
- Practical tips and guidance to protect against mental health harms
- Coping with working from home and hybrid working patterns
- Encouraging conversation about mental health and wellbeing in the newsroom
- Workplace initiatives to support positive mental health and wellbeing