BA (Hons) Multimedia Sports Journalism – Bournemouth University
If you’d like an exciting career in the fast-paced, deadline-driven world of sports journalism then this is the course for you. Gain the knowledge and skills needed to work in a multi-platform and increasingly digitally focused sports journalism industry.
This course is new in 2021 but will run alongside the well established BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism degree, which has been running for 28 years and has thousands of graduates in the journalism industry. We are proud of our industry endorsements and always strive to match industry demands and digital, mobile requirements. We aim that our gradates leave as responsible, independent multimedia journalists ready for employment.
- Take part in authentic news days and provide extensive coverage of local sports including AFC Bournemouth and other clubs
- Graduates equipped to become a sports and convergence specialist and trained to be agile enough to respond to new technologies and consumer/audience behaviours
- Showcase your sports journalism to the public via our online platform BUzz, BU’s campus radio station, Nerve magazine and your own social media channels and websites
- Learn from experienced professionals including senior industry guest speakers and our successful alumni
- Produce news broadcasts in our professional TV studios, design magazines, film TV news packages and interview members of the public as well as guests on live radio
- Take part in authentic news day activities in the community to reflect real industry practice and publish news and features across our student platforms
- Experience rolling news cycles in our live converged news environments
- Learn from experienced professionals and successful alumni. Previous speakers include Jon Snow (Channel 4), Jake Wallis Simons (Daily Mail Online), and Stephen Sackur (BBC HARDTalk)
- Take advantage of BU’s partnership with AFC Bournemouth to cover home games, attend pre-match conferences and conduct interviews at Vitality Stadium
- Make invaluable industry connections during a 30-week work placement with organisations such as national and regional media, the BBC and Sky Sports.
- BU is ranked amongst the top 10 best UK universities for journalism, publishing and PR (The best UK universities 2021 league table – The Guardian).
- There are various placement opportunities. Students can opt for 3 years full-time with a 4-week placement, or 4 years full-time with a 30-week placement. There are also study abroad opportunities with link universities internationally.
- You’ll be career ready with 89% of graduates from our media, journalism and communications courses in employment after 15 months.
NCTJ elective modules offered:
- Journalism for a Digital Audience
- Public Affairs for Journalists
- Shorthand for Journalists
- Broadcast Journalism
- Media Law Court Reporting
- Videojournalism for online
- Sports Journalism
- Photography for Journalists
We have a foundation year option for UK students who do not meet the entry requirements for the degree course. This additional year of study will give you a grounding in the media & communication skills required for this course, building your confidence, knowledge and skills for further study. After successful completion of the foundation year, you will progress to the full degree.
Job destinations of graduates from BU’s sister degree include:
- Sky News and Sky Sports News
- The Athletic
- Reach plc
- Capital Radio