The Southern Daily Echo is looking for an ambitious reporter who is an enthusiastic self-starter always keen to pitch story ideas.
You might just be starting out in journalism armed with a gold-standard NCTJ diploma including 100wpm shorthand, or you might have experience in the industry already.
The Echo needs a reporter who is digitally adept – able to cover breaking news, interview people, and capture images and video when away from our office in the beautiful Ocean Village marina.
A major part of the job will be developing relationships and understanding what matters to the people in Southampton – whether that be at a community centre or in court.
We want to tell the stories our audience cares about – from covering crime and politics to telling powerful human interest stories and championing the best of our communities.
You’ll also ask the questions that hold power to account and be able to spot a story in the white noise of the digital world.
You will also be:
- Brimming with ideas on how to tackle the remit and get the most out of it digitally
- Driven to progress by making the most of newsroom guidance and training
- Passionate about social media
- Have a good knowledge of relevant media law
- Have a versatile, fresh, and energetic writing style with exceptional attention to detail
- The ability to write – and think – quickly under pressure
- An adaptable style to produce everything from live blogs and listicles to long reads and features
- Knowledge of SEO and its importance to digital journalism
- Collaborative skills to pool ideas with the wider reporting team
The role is based in Southampton and you will be required to get out on patch, so this position suits a candidate with a full and clean driving licence.
If this sounds like the role for you, please click apply now to send your CV and brief cover letter.