We are The Sun: The Sun is the most popular newsbrand in the UK, reaching 38.2 million people a month across digital and print. The Sun is at the heart of the nation’s conversation, blending serious investigations, agenda-setting campaigns, political scoops and celebrity gossip. More than a newspaper. The Sun is an instigator, an entertainer, a cultural reference point, a finger on the pulse, a daily relationship. We have a talented, diverse team who publish the best coverage of news, sport, lifestyle and showbiz in print and digital.
The Role: The Sun is the biggest news brand in the UK – and still growing – with a talented, diverse team who publish the best coverage of news, sport, lifestyle and showbiz in print and digital. The Sun is looking to offer an apprenticeship as a Sports Reporter Sub-Editor. This is an amazing opportunity for you to break into the journalism industry with one of the most read newspapers in the country!
Day to day you will:
- Edit copy to fix spelling or grammatical errors
- Rewrite material to make it tight, punchy, to length and in house style
- Write brilliant Sun-style headlines
- Check facts to ensure stories are accurate and legally safe
- Consult with reporter/writer and desk heads to resolve issues with copy, keeping chief subs informed on changes that arise
- Suggest new angles and raise legal issues with desk heads when appropriate
- Work quickly and efficiently to strict deadline
- Proactively look for the next task
- Maintain a wide knowledge of current affairs and trends through reading various titles as well as utilising other media platforms daily.
- Frequently read Sun paper and websites.
What we are looking for from you:
- Excellent grasp of English language
- Creative, flexible and calm under pressure with the ability to turn their hand to all types of features and stories
- A broad knowledge of all sport
- Awareness of legal and regulatory requirements
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends
- Ability to work under pressure to tight and frequent deadlines
- Well organised
- Adaptability – able to adapt style dependent on the story
Life at News: At News UK we believe our people are our heartbeat – they are the driving force behind our brands and we want the ways we work to enable people to thrive. Some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you would like. We can’t promise to offer exactly what you want, but do provide multiple flexible working options. Many of us work in a hybrid way between one of the News UK & Ireland offices and remotely.