Health and science reporter – NationalWorld.com (remote)
Do you have a passion for quality journalism, combined with a thorough knowledge of health and science issues?
Do you have a senior journalist qualification or equivalent experience, and the self-starter drive to break your own stories and uncover agenda-setting scoops?
Do you want to be part of the collaborative team behind the UK’s newest national news title? Our audience is growing rapidly online and we are investing in our teams to develop NationalWorld.com.
To help build on this growth in 2023, we are recruiting for a Health and Science Reporter within our award-winning team to lead on our health coverage, whether it’s writing about a new scientific breakthrough, interpreting the latest ONS stats or reporting on the state of the NHS.
You will have the hunger to learn, develop and embrace change as our business develops.
You will also have a demonstrable grasp of SEO, a natural understanding of what makes great digital content, and a passion for engaging with your audience on social media.
If you are interested in this opportunity but not sure you have all the skills, or you have not previously covered health, please do apply anyway. The key attribute for this role is that you will need to be able to explain complex, nuanced topics in clear, concise and impartial copy.
Scope and purpose of the role
- To ensure NationalWorld.com is an industry leader in health and science news, with original journalism, explainers and features
- To ensure we achieve our audience targets while maintaining our high ethical and legal standards
- To develop the content agenda for NationalWorld through original journalism and bold ideas
- To understand and take action from audience data and analytics
Key duties and responsibilities
- Pitch ideas for stories, explainers and features on a daily basis, with a good understanding of the health landscape and what the audience is interested in
- Write and produce stories, explainers and features to deadline, and contribute analysis when needed
- Take part in videos and podcasts when required
- Develop contacts, subject knowledge and expertise across the health sector
- Build links with other health organisations and experts who can contribute to our coverage
- Use social media effectively to promote content, raise your profile and engage with readers
- Take part in regular content planning meetings and conferences
- Work closely with other teams within NationalWorld.com such as data, video and graphics
- Represent NationalWorld.com in broadcast media appearances if and when required
Skills and experience
- Senior journalist qualification or equivalent experience
- A demonstrable knowledge of health issues, and the ability to turn complex scientific or medical stories into clear, engaging copy
- Excellent written and verbal communication and a meticulous attention to detail when proofreading your own or another writer’s work
- Capable of producing fast and accurate copy to deadlines, and an awareness of writing to different article formats, from explainers to news stories
- Excellent organisational skills, including the ability to manage competing priorities and meet tight deadlines
- Demonstrable ability to come up with original content ideas
- Comfortable in a fast-paced media environment with the organisational skills to plan ahead
- A team player: able to work closely with digital colleagues across the business
- Previous experience of using a website content management system
- Good understanding of basic SEO principles
- Working knowledge of media law and the Editor’s Code of Practice
- A good knowledge of using social media as a means of reaching audiences
- Desirable: a strong understanding of data journalism principles
- Desirable: any background in science, either educationally or professionally, in order to understand the complexities of medical journals
Please note this role is remote however there is a requirement that you must be residing in the UK
National World is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment as an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability or age. Consideration will be given to flexible working options for all roles.