new readers across the newspaper and the website
Key accountabilities:● To produce brilliant news stories every day.
● Independently generate exclusives from your own sources and contacts
● Ability to cover live breaking news effectively for both the newspaper and the website
● Turn around copy and content quickly and accurately; mindful of IPSO and legal
● Being able to write in a concise and entertaining way in keeping with Sun style but
free from cliche
● Understanding how to recirculate readers within The Sun across all formats and keep
them engaged with our content
● Being able to work as part of a team in a constantly adapting working environment
that is always striving to find the new way of telling news stories
● Working with video desk and picture desk to maximum effect
● Interviewing people from all walks of life in the most challenging of circumstance
What we are looking for from you:
● Online or print reporting experience in a newsroom
● Excellent, fast writing and basic subbing skills
● Passion for all things news
● Peerless and wide-ranging contacts book
● Flexible attitude to working hours across seven days
● A willingness to embrace ongoing digital challenges such as social media
● Good head under pressure and working to tight deadlines
● Own transport and willing to travel at very short notice
Life at News
At News UK some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to offer exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 8 employee-led networks; Cultural Diversity, News is Out, GenZ, Sustainability Champions, News for Parents, Women in Tech, News UK Christian Fellowship and we are awaiting the launch of our Women’s Steering Group.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. We offer private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions, discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes, and a ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme, as well as offering opportunities for physio/massage, counselling and legal support.
In addition we also offer:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- 25 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing, so feel free to let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.