From creating engaging written and video content tailored to a digital audience to showcasing the great work our reporters do, your job will be to deliver content to a wider readership and interact with our readers, showcasing and creating discussion around the news that matters to them.
This is an ideal role for a creative self-starter who understands social media and wants to bring something new to some of the biggest newsbrands. We are looking for candidates with excellent storytelling techniques, superb digital skills and a deep understanding of how to make content engaging.
We’re looking for fresh ideas and new perspectives from people from a wide range of backgrounds, and we want you to tell us the stories you believe are important from our many communities so we can continue to diversify our content.
So, who are we?
We are Reach Plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human.
Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
This position is a maternity cover and will be on a 4 month fixed term contract. There will potentially be an opportunity to extend this for the right candidate.
This role has the ability to be flexible, this could look like full time, part time, condensed or reduced hours. If you’re looking for a flexible role please advise what you’re looking for in the application form.
This role is home based however due to the nature of the role, you will need to be based in or around Devon.
Key ResponsibilitiesWhat will the role involve?
- Manage a wide variety of social media channels and newsletters in accordance with best practice and priorities
- Implement projects to grow registered users and interact with our readers on our website and on other social media platforms
- Find new ways to promote content off-platform and find new readers
- Use analytical tools to understands what works best and how we can evolve and improve
- Work with our video teams to create fascinating content and run Facebook Lives on the big issues affecting our audiences
The Ideal CandidateWho are we looking for?
- NCTJ or equivalent journalism degree and knowledge of media law
- Content writing experience, preferably as a reporter
- Strong people management skills
- Digital publishing skills
- Social media skills
- Passion for digital storytelling in local journalism
- Deep knowledge of media law
- Strong understanding of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Expert in audience engagement
- Valid UK driving licence
- This role will involve weekend work, this will typically be 1 in 6
Package DescriptionWhat can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave – including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your nearest and dearest, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace and access to free mental health coaching through Sanctus
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes
- We are also a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management levels
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.